Posting DetailsJob CategoryFacilitiesPosition TitleMillwrightFull Time/Part TimeFull TimeDivisionFinance and AdministrationDepartmentFacilities - TradesDepartment Statement
“One Team, One Mission”
It is the mission of the Facilities Department at Colgate University to create the safest, cleanest, and most comfortable environment that further distinguishes Colgate University as a world-class educational institution.
We work hard as part of a unified team, to make everyone who arrives on campus feel welcome. It is our vision to be an exceptionally run facilities department that is dedicated to exemplary service, environmental stewardship, operational efficiency, teamwork, and fiscal responsibility.
It is our vision to be an exceptionally run facilities department that is dedicated to the exemplary service, environmental stewardship, operational efficiency, teamwork, and fiscal responsibility.Accountabilities
- Maintains and repairs all plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration components on campus as required.
- Conducts layouts for assigned jobs, reads, interprets, provides material labor estimates, orders materials, and translates prints into a finished product.
- Maintains accurate records of materials used and time spent on assignments.
- Maintains a working knowledge of control system principles, HVAC systems, fire alarm systems, electrical motors, chemical treatment and filtration of swimming pools, chillers, water softening equipment ,and refrigeration systems.
- Requires the ability to work independently, as well as collegially and effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students, visitors and contractors on a daily basis.
- Must be able to coordinate own work with other trade shops and departments.
- Requires the ability to use personal computers for work order entries (material & labor needs) and campus energy management system to monitor building conditions.
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.NameEffective CommunicationDescription
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.NameProblem Solving and Decision MakingDescription
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.NameChange ManagementDescription
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.NameLeadership and TeamworkDescription
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.NameCreativity and InnovationDescription
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.NameDiversity and InclusionDescription
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.NameSustainabilityDescription
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Professional Experience/ Qualifications
At least one of the following is required:
- Certificate from an accredited apprentice program in the field.
- Graduation from certified trade school plus one year experience in the field.
- Proof of five consecutive years as a Journeyperson in the field.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as part of a team and coordinate with other trade shops.
- Must have good computer skills including Microsoft Word, and the ability to use computer programs, including building automation systems, to monitor systems, complete work order entries, material procurement, estimating, and other shop related activity.
- Must be available to work evenings, nights and weekend hours as required.
- A trade school degree is desirable.
A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent is required, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable skills are attained.Certifications
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.Physical Requirements
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must have the ability to lift and carry up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Will be required to wear a NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Health & Safety) approved respirator and personal protective equipment, which may include a flame resistant uniform (as defined by NFPA-70E).
- May be exposed to hazards of electrical shock and steam.
- Outdoor work required.
- Ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions as needed. Exposure to heights, high speed power tools, and outdoor work.
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently a Colgate employee?
- * Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Please let us know how you heard about this position.
- Albany Times Union
- Binghamton Press & Sun
- Cazenovia Republican
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Colgate Employee
- Colgate Website
- Diverse Issues of Higher Education
- HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
- Mid-York Weekly
- NCAA News
- Norwich Evening Sun
- Oneida Daily Dispatch
- Sherburne News
- Syracuse Post Standard
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Waterville Times
- If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard about this position, please provide the employee's name or where you heard about/saw the position.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter