Customer Service Representative 1
Posting Code: 2860354
Work type: Classified
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Administration and Business Operations, Customer Service
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
To provide customer service and specialized information; assist individuals in securing services, permits or licenses; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
The Customer Service Rep 1 must:
- Greet visitors and answer the telephone; possess good knowledge of department programs and services to provide accurate information; explain and apply rules, policies, and procedures; refer people to the appropriate department or staff. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality. Independently applying program knowledge to screen for services and assist individuals and determine their needs or purpose of their visit.
- Screening and channeling calls and taking messages; scheduling appointments for staff members; producing labels, forms and routine letters; composing and signing routine correspondence; receiving money; verifying completeness of applications and forms; maintaining record keeping systems.
- Provides front-line customer service and specialized information regarding Graduate College rules, policies, procedures, and programs.
- Answers phones, screens and routes calls, takes messages and schedules appointments.
- Questions those seeking services to determine their needs or purpose of visit and interviews students to obtain program-related data.
- Performs a variety of office support functions such as electronic filing, verifying completeness of applications and forms; maintaining electronic record systems.
- Explains eligibility or compliance requirements and programs available.
- Responds in writing (email) to request for pertinent program information.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Word processing skills
- Ability to perform several tasks simultaneously while having continual interruptions
- Knowledge of using database software to store, retrieve, and compile information in a report format.
- Questioning customers to obtain detailed information in a business setting
- Explaining policies, procedures, or rules
- Independently handling complaints and upset individuals in a business setting
- Answering a business telephone using knowledge of business telephone procedures and
- Reviewing documents and records for accuracy and completeness
- Accessing data using a computerized records system
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Exemplary customer service skills;
- Ability to work with and relate to a diverse group;
- Able to maintain confidentiality;
- Two (2) years of experience in the same type of work.
Salary and Benefits:
This position pays $12.25 an hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
Required Application Materials:
Please include an up-to-date resume with your application.
Advertised: September 14, 2020
Applications close: September 20, 2020