ASST SAFETY & COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Posting DetailsPosting NumberS05187PWorking TitleASST SAFETY & COMPLIANCE OFFICERDepartmentVPR-Research SafetyAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The Office of Research encourages and supports innovative interdisciplinary research, scholarship and creative activities that contribute to the physical, emotional and economic well-being of the people of Georgia, the nation and the world. Through partnerships and collaborations, we seek to share knowledge, increase innovation, and deliver the products of our research to the marketplace.College/Unit/Department websitehttps://research.uga.edu/Posting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Additional hours may be scheduled as needed at the supervisor’s discretion.Advertised Salary$ 40,000 - $ 50,000Posting Date09/11/2020Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date10/20/2020Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification TitleSafety/Risk Mgmt Technical/Paraprofessional/ProfessionalFLSANon-ExemptJob FamilyEnvironmental SafetyFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
The Assistant Safety and Compliance Officer (ASCO) position involves knowledge of chemical and laboratory safety and compliance and will be expected to serve in an informal leadership role for junior EHS professionals within the department. The position reports to the Senior Safety and Compliance Officer and will be expected to execute assigned tasks independently, with intermittent supervision. The position resides within The Office of Research Safety (ORS) covering cross-disciplinary EH&S professions with a primary focus in chemical/ laboratory safety and emergency response. Travel within the UGA campus as well as extended UGA campuses throughout the state is needed.
The ASCO will maintain a high degree of professionalism and integrity in representing the University and model a culture of safety. The ASCO is a liaison and point-of-contact within Research Safety for campus departments, including areas such as research, clinical, academic, athletic, and support services. The position is responsible for providing comprehensive health, safety, and/or compliance services to achieve the University’s goal of a safe, healthy, and compliant workplace/academic environment. Access to certain laboratories may involve additional security screening and further follow-up by the UGA Medical Surveillance Program. The ASCO would be a front-line advisor involved with developing and updating policies and procedures to better reach program goals as assigned by management. The job involves identifying critical information, developing analysis, sharing information, and assisting team members with recommendations and assessments related to safety and compliance issues within the UGA research enterprise. After-hours and Holiday On-Call rotation participation, respirator/personal protective equipment usage, equipment and instrument applications, and spill response remediation is a job requirement.
The ASCO serves in many capacities including but not limited to: the development and oversight of health, safety and compliance protocols; advising faculty, staff, students and researchers regarding safety and compliance issues; safety and compliance documentation and communication; and emergency spill response. The ASCO will handle a case load of safety and/or compliance related tasks of a complex nature with the aid provided by the immediate supervisor as needed.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Professionalism and integrity in representing safety and/or compliance offices or programs.
- Experience in active consensus-building and safety negotiation; ability to grasp needs and concerns in varied areas of safety and compliance and provide multiple solutions to complex problems.
- Uses initiative to perform recurring tasks from established procedures and performs newly assigned tasks from direct instruction.
- Excellent professional oral and written communication skills to maintain effective and cooperative relationships with students, faculty, staff, coworkers, public, and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to implement continuous quality improvement through the use of relevant qualitative and quantitative metrics in assessing compliance and performance.
- Ability to use electronic safety, compliance, and research administration platforms; word processing, database; spreadsheet; and presentation computer programs.
- Solid knowledge of State and Federal environmental health and safety regulations as well as nationally accepted standards, guidelines, and other related conventions on safety and compliance.
- Solid knowledge and skills in technical safety disciplines (e.g., radiation safety, industrial hygiene, biosafety, chemical safety, environmental monitoring and sampling methods).
- Solid knowledge and skills to assist with in-service training and educational programs in applicable programmatic areas.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, due to the diversity of safety and compliance services, and the wide-range of potential work locations on campus.
- Proficient in the performance and documentation of chemical and laboratory safety inspections.
- Knowledgeable in the use and troubleshooting of monitoring instrumentation.
- Able to give presentations and training classes on Research Safety topics.
- Able to support and coordinate activities associated with the handling and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Access.
- Sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Negotiate occasional awkward work locations and paths of travel.
- Work in a variety of physical environments, including weather extremes, potential confined spaces, chemical/biological/radiological laboratories, animal care and use facilities, etc.
- Periodically perform short duration physical exertions, including light-medium weight lifting, pushing, pulling, stair or ladder climbing, etc. in support of a safety investigation, area or operations survey, or incident response.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Inspections, audits, consultations, and surveys
Responsible for identifying unsafe conditions and practices, incorporating engineering controls, reviewing administrative controls and explaining best practices in the workplace for laboratory workers specifically as it refers to chemical and laboratory safety. Reporting of assessment findings is also a critical responsibility of the position as collection of this data drives the choices of decision makers within Research Safety. The position is expected to effectively utilize electronic administrative platforms used for safety and compliance. Develop positive rapport with laboratories to which they have been assigned.Percentage of time60Duties/Responsibilities
Lab Opening Coordinator
Serve as the initial point of contact for all new researchers starting laboratories at the University. They will assist lab personnel with navigating federal, state, and local laboratory safety requirements and coordinate with necessary compliance groups and UGA facilities to ensure that all new laboratories meet minimum safety standards. In this role, the position compiles welcoming packets and manages inventory of all supplies set aside for new laboratory start-ups.Percentage of time20Duties/Responsibilities
Team Inspection Schedule Coordinator
Manage and record requests for specific laboratory safety assessments for the chemical safety team. Respond promptly to requests for visits from faculty and staff and coordinate with team members to ensure that all laboratories receive their appropriate visits.Percentage of time10Duties/Responsibilities
Hazardous Materials Spill Response Team
Participates in an incident response team, responding to releases and spills of hazardous chemicals, infectious agents, radioactive materials, and /or other environmental releases anywhere on campus. Individual is available for consultation after normal work hours. Communicates and coordinates with Campus Police and County Fire and Emergency Services in emergency events.Percentage of time5Duties/Responsibilities
Assist with the development and implementation of special projects as needed. Additionally, may be expected to step into a supervisory role in the absence of the Senior Safety & Compliance Officer.Percentage of time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a valid driver's license?
- No Response
- Cover Letter