Graduate Assistant (Staff), Office for International Students & Scholars Technical Support
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Graduate Assistant
Location: Main Campus
Division: Graduate Employment
The Office for International Students and Scholars is seeking a qualified graduate student for the position of Technical Support Graduate Assistant for the Fall 2020 Semester. Under the guidance and supervision of the professional staff, the graduate assistant is to perform primary technical support as well as support customer service at the OISS front desk.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) website including conducting monthly audits of the website to ensure accuracy and functionality.
- Assist professional staff with website development.
- Oversee third-party software licenses for the office and monitor inventory of all software and office equipment.
- Identify and implement computer applications intended to improve office efficiency and streamline procedures.
- Assist in the trouble-shooting of office machines (computers, printers, copiers) and at times work closely with the EMU I.T. Department.
- Manage the departmental shared drive and networks.
- Provide technical assistance to professional staff during presentations, orientations, seminars, and other events as needed.
- Be a knowledgeable initial contact for international students requiring assistance (in-person, via e-mail, and over the telephone) at the OISS front desk.
- Represent the OISS office at special cultural functions (some evening and weekend events required).
- Other technical duties as assigned.
- Acquire a fundamental understanding of federal immigration regulations.
- Develop and improve leadership, team-building, computer application development, program planning, communication, and organizational skills in a diverse environment which support innovation and creativity.
- Use opportunities to meet and interact with international and domestic students, faculty, and staff.
- An earned Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Acceptance into a Graduate Program at Eastern Michigan University. This position is best suited for graduate students pursuing a Master's of Science in Computer Science; or computer related program.
- Experience in working with and developing creative content.
- Ability to work as part of a communications team in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to lift and carry computer equipment up to 25lbs.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time at the computer; job requires heavy concentration.
- Ability to set up systems which may include work under desks.
- Experience with Ellucian ISSM and Banner preferred.
- Knowledge of some immigration regulations preferred.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures preferred.
- This position officially begins on August 24, 2020 however; applicant must be available to start virtual/online training as soon as possible.
- Required commitment of 20 hours a week (including finals week).
- Must be available to work during orientation (Fall and Winter) and immigration check-ins (Fall, Winter, Summer).
- Graduate assistant is to follow the EMU's Student Code of Conduct and conduct themselves in a safe, productive, and ethical manner.
- Funding is for the Fall 2020 semester. Future semesters may be available, but not guaranteed.
- Incomplete applications and applications without all required supplemental documents will not be considered.
- Cover letter (including anticipated graduate date)
- One letter of recommendation from a U.S. source
For a full-time GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (September 1 to August 31) of the assistantship.
For graduate assistants who are appointed to part-time positions and for GAs who begin employment after the start of the semester, the number of credit hours covered by the award will be prorated.
Click here for more benefit related information.
Are you currently enrolled within a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University, if not do you have an application currently pending for a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University?
Please indicate the graduate/doctoral-level program(s) with Eastern Michigan University in which you are currently enrolled or for which you have an application pending.
Do you acknowledge that your tuition waiver may be taxable beyond $5250 per year?
* Required Question