Assistant Professor - User Experience
The Humanities, Social Science, and Communication (HSC) Department at the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) is seeking an Assistant Professor in the field of User Experience. The HSC department began to offer a User Experience Bachelor of Science degree in the fall of 2016. The new faculty member would teach a variety of courses for the degree, including but not limited to visual design, user interface and interaction design, design for AI, VR, and AR, and design for voice. The faculty member is expected to contribute to the enhancement of the program strategy and curriculum, connect program graduates to external industry partnerships, and participate in the program recruitment efforts. The position will be available beginning in fall of 2021. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills:
- A Master’s degree in User Experience, Human-Centered Design, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic, Multimedia or Interactive Design, Information Architecture, or other related field is required
- Experience in any or all of the following: Visual design, user interface and interaction design, web and mobile development applications
- Experience or interest in teaching online and interdisciplinary courses
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills:
- A Ph.D. in the above listed fields is preferred
- Designing for artificial intelligence, augmented reality, virtual reality, mixed reality, and/or voice interface
- Familiarity with front-end development technologies
- Experience teaching college students
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build successful relationships with students and faculty from other departments
The HSC Department has offices in MSOE’s Grohmann Museum, home of the Man at Work collection of industrial art. The User Experience Program is located in the Dwight and Dian Diercks Computational Science Hall with modern classrooms, innovative laboratories, and study spaces dedicated to artificial intelligence (AI), deep learning, cyber security, robotics, cloud computing and other next-generation technologies.
An institution that also offers degrees in business, nursing, user experience, and engineering, MSOE is located on the beautiful east side of downtown Milwaukee, just blocks from Lake Michigan and within easy walking distance of the city’s highly acclaimed fine arts and entertainment venues. With approximately 2500 full-time students, our campus maintains an intimate, small-town atmosphere.
Review of materials will begin immediately.
Applicants should upload one (1) PDF file in the “resume” field of the application which includes: 1) a letter of interest; 2) a current curriculum vitae; 3) a statement of teaching philosophy; and 4) a digital portfolio showcasing work.
To apply to this position, please visit http://www.milwaukeejobs.com/apply/add/43160269.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of MSOE to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all jobs at the University and to all the terms, benefits, and conditions of employment/enrollment.