Director of Budgets
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2020-068
Posting Start Date: 9/11/2020
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: YES
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Director of BudgetsDescription/Job Summary
The Director of Budgets is the senior level individual responsible for providing leadership, stewardship, oversight, budgeting, and administration of all campus operating and capital funds.
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Chief Budget Officer works closely with the college president and cabinet, deans, directors, department chairs, and College Budget Committee to provide subject matter expertise and guidance related to the College’s multi-fund operating budget. The Chief Budget Officer leads the Budget Office in providing timely, accurate and meaningful information to support strategy and decision-making. Within the Division of Finance and Administration, the Director is a member of a team of leaders responsible for providing a wide array of services and support to the College community, including strategic planning for resource management in a multi-year, multi-fund context, determining implications of proposed activities or polices; and providing ongoing leadership in the improvement of efficient financial operation of the campus.
Under the direction of the Vice President, the,Director is responsible for the analysis of budget-related legislation, serves as liaison with senior administration and the President’s staff as required, and prepares the annual campus State budget request. The Director will be a collaborative, strategic, forward-looking thinker and doer who demonstrates integrity, confidentiality and attention to detail and accuracy.
***PLEASE UPLOAD 7 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES***Responsibilities/Duties
- Work closely with internal stakeholders and provide leadership in the development and implementation of the College’s annual operating budget;
- Prepare annual budget allocation correspondence College-wide to include an analysis of issues that impact each area. Respond to requests for budgetary information;
- Align the budget request process and work with the strategic planning process to provide College-wide direction;
- Oversee all aspects of the preparation, communication, maintenance, analysis and oversight of the College’s annual operating budget. Make policy recommendations for budgetary changes as appropriate;
- Conduct analyses of the College’s budget allocations. Analyze drivers, trends, and make policy recommendations based on the analysis of the data;
- Develop projections and evaluate the impact resulting from budget variances. Develop, maintain, analyze, and present financial reports related to operating budgets, revenues and expenses;
- Develop, project and refine models to predict tuition and revenue accounting for the variable factors that will affect overall revenue. Analyze enrollment data and identify revenue and expense trends;
- Monitor actual tuition revenue against projections and provide necessary variance reporting. Model and communicate the impact to the College’s executive management team;
- Enhance the quality of financial analytics, including modeling the capacity to support financial planning and initiatives;
- Updates and maintains end user documentation as it relates to budget-related applications and processes and oversees complex reconciliations and variance analyses on a routine basis.
- Develops realistic revenue and expenditure assumptions, overseas the annual budget submission, conducts budget modeling and implements executive budgetary controls to promote resource stability;
- Acts as a budget advisor to the College, providing the executive management team with input on issues related to the legislative budget process, internal budget management and financial planning;
- Researches financial data from various units and other funding sources including tuition and fees, grants and contracts, auxiliary enterprises, college fundraising and other sources of revenue to create an integrated all-funds budget and resources planning model;
- Collects, compiles and prepares the annual College budget and prepare annual budget summaries and supporting budget schedules for each budget unit;
- Manages, monitors, adjusts and executes the operating budgets via proactive written and verbal communications and strong relations with department budget manager and senior leaders;
- Monitors funding sources, agency expenditures and allotments while ensuring compliance with legislative intent, accounting regulations and audit compliance;
- Reviews financial analysis and assists in the preparation of the College’s consolidated financial statements in conjunction with the Controller’s Office;
- Assists in the preparation of financial reports required for internal and external auditors, state regulators, governmental agencies, board of trustees and other interested parties;
- Assists in ensuring compliance of grants and contracts;
- Conducts annual performance evaluations, supervise subordinate staff and establishes work performance goals, recommends organizations and staffing needs to the Vice President for effective and efficient operation of the financial services area;
- Develop and analyze fiscal data to determine and inform the financial consequences of changes in policy, programs, or activities affecting the College’s finance;
- Develop and implement ad-hoc reports in response to inquiries as needed or requested; analyze findings into recommendations;
- Serves on college-wide committees and councils and performs other related duties as required by the Vice President;
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- ***PLEASE UPLOAD 7 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES as an additional document***
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive, relevant work experience in budgeting and accounting operations, management and finance
- Seven (7) years of supervisory experience
- Master’s Degree in business field or CPA
- Experience in a non-profit environment or similar non-profit organizations preferred.
- Experience working in the public sector
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail