About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2020-069
Posting Start Date: 9/11/2020
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: YES
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
A Bursar is the advance level work responsible for providing oversight in the operation a department or program. Employees in this classification may be responsible for managing an office, budget, programs, and or services for Baltimore City Community College. The Bursar reports to the Controller, responsible for providing leadership, vision, planning and direction for the Accounting Department and its component offices. This position is responsible for the overall operations of student financial services, billing and receivables, and cashiering functions of the College. The Bursar provides direction and leadership in financial management, fiscal policies review and changes; ensures compliance with College, State and Federal regulations and standard accounting procedures. The Bursar oversees supervision of Bursar’s Office staff, including but not limited to allocation of duties, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; and ensures staff are familiar with office policies and procedures and establishes internal control procedures and safeguards college resources in accordance with policies and regulations;. The Bursar will be a collaborative, strategic, forward-looking thinker and doer who demonstrates integrity, confidentiality and attention to detail and accuracy.
***PLEASE UPLOAD 7 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES***Responsibilities/Duties
- Oversees the overall operations of student financial services, billing and receivables, and cashiering functions of the college;
- Performs professional level accounting functions, including auditing, reconciling and preparing financial reports; audits, analyzes, and reconciles accounts for accuracy and compliance with all pertinent procedures and regulations, identifies weaknesses in internal controls and safeguards assets; prepares external and internal reports, journal entries, spreadsheets and cash request; retrieves and verifies data;
- Ensures proper recording and accounting of financial transactions to include registration feeds, financial aid awards, refunds, billings, waivers, student accounts receivable, collections and disbursements; oversees reconciliation of all funds received to include in person, online, electronic funds transfers and via mail; posts and returns Chapter 33 Veteran’s Administration payments as needed;
- Provides direction and leadership in financial management, fiscal policies review and changes; conducts special studies as required; ensures compliance with college, state, and federal regulations and standard accounting procedures;
- Provides periodic reports of receipts and technical information to the college community and to external funding agencies;
- Recommends and participates in the development of college policies and procedures; may serve on college planning and policy-making committees;
- Encourages customer-oriented staff interaction with students, parents, and administrators.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors, participates in auditing projects, or provides information and access to accounting records as required;
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement;
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of unit staff;
- Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses;
- Represents the College to various institutional divisions as well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, students and their parents, and/or the general public;
- Plans, develops, and implements strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for the organization;
- Develops, implements and maintains departmental policies and procedures and ensuring Title IV regulatory compliance;
- Supervises student accounting, cashiering and record-keeping function which collects student fees, fines, loan payment, facility rentals, athletics and fund-raising events etc. and issuance of checks and deferments, refunds, pretty cash reimbursements etc. in a timely manner; oversees cash counts and funds replenishment;
- Coordinates purge function, debt write off, payment plans and other options for student payment; institutes collection proceeding as necessary for payment plans, defaults non-sufficient fund checks and others debt;
- Coordinates debt processing of student payment and student services with other offices (financial aid, records and registration);
- Manages student billing disputes; represents the College at hearing with Central Collection Bureau in regards to student defaulted accounts;
- Manages departmental budgets;
- Ensures the college procedures are in compliance with State, Federal and College regulations; maintains working knowledge of compliance with current federal cash disbursement regulations; determines cash needs for Federal Financial Aid programs, and for coordinating cash requests from the Department of Education; and
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- ***PLEASE UPLOAD 7 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES as an additional document***
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive, relevant work experience in budgeting and accounting operations, management and finance
- Seven (7) years of supervisory experience
- Master’s Degree in business field or CPA
- Experience in a non-profit environment or similar non-profit organizations preferred.
- Experience working in the public sector
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail