HR Business Partner -BEST Region (7596U) 10709
HR Business Partner -BEST Region (7596U) 10709 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 24, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) "service regions" that provide high-quality administrative support to their groupings of schools, colleges and departments.
The BEST (Biological, Environmental, Science & Technology) Region serves the College of Natural Resources, the Division of Biological Sciences in the College of Letters and Science, and related ORUs, museums, and field stations in the biological sciences. HR/APS supports hiring, appointments, separations, classification and compensation, performance management, payroll and timekeeping, and other HR activities in coordination with its partners in other teams across the UC Berkeley campus and the UCPath Center in Riverside, CA.
Uses professional HR concepts as a seasoned, experienced professional within a team of HR professionals to apply campus policies and procedures to resolve a wide range of HR-related issues. Responsible for managing client relationships and supporting the development of unit specific profiles and knowledge base materials. Serves as a business partner and liaison between clients and BEST HR/APOs. Works on problems that are diverse and complex in scope, where analysis of situations requires a review of a variety of factors. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day assignments with some guidance provided on new projects. Works with Service Delivery Supervisors, Director, and AP/HR Optimization teams to implement best practices and deliver continuous improvements in service. Provides guidance to other human resource professionals and support staff and Administration departments' management.
- Counsels department managers and supervisors on employee and labor policies, procedures, and appropriate practices regarding performance management, recruiting, on-boarding, compensation/classification, disability, training and other areas of HR. Responsible for diverse and complex client allocation
- Manages recruitment cycle for a full range of staff or academic positions.
- Counsels employees concerning sensitive and difficult to resolve work-related problems. Prioritizes work assignments, conducts complex HR trends analyses and develops resulting recommendations.
- Works with client groups on complex re-organizations and staffing objectives to assist in meeting business objectives. Conducts termination interviews, providing feedback to administration and academic unit management.
- Advises all levels of managers, supervisors, and employees in developing job descriptions; managing disability, leaves of absence and employee performance; interpreting and applying personnel policies and procedures.
- Counsels employees concerning sensitive and difficult to resolve work-related problems.
- Represents Berkeley Regional Services BEST Team at department meetings upon request and works to make the BEST Region an inclusive environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resources concepts, policies and procedures, employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources.
- Demonstrated ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations / individuals effectively and ability to provide exceptional customer service in high volume, fast-paced, professional environment and excellent interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective relationships with diverse client groups.
- Thorough knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, knowledge of functional area and understands how work may affect other areas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to apply skills in a consultative way.
- In-depth knowledge of disability case management and proven ability to follow through and focus on resolving cases in a timely manner.
- Demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills. Demonstrates skill in prioritizing competing work assignments, and timelines.
- Possesses strong analytical skills, active listening, critical thinking skills and interpersonal acumen to analyze and determine appropriate recommendations and their implications.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or 3 - 5 years combined experience and/or education in human resources, organizational development, and/or training and development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Human Capital Management (HCM) and Talent Acquisition Management (TAM) systems other related business software programs and systems.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills.
- Knowledge of academic personnel or administration.
- Worked in shared services environment especially in higher education field.
- Knowledge of campus initiatives relating to and/or impacting human resources and thorough understanding of how work may impact other areas..
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10709&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency