Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 87264
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University is seeking an experimental research associate (Life Science Research Professional 1) to join the Sanulli Laboratory to study the underlying principles of genome packaging that regulate transcriptional programs. The Sanulli Lab is launching at the Stanford University Department of Genetics in fall 2020. The ideal candidate will join the team as soon as possible.
Lab overview: Eukaryotic DNA is wrapped around nucleosomes, which form long chains of chromatin that are further folded into three-dimensional assemblies. The architecture of these assemblies is crucial for determining cell identity and for proper cellular functions. Recently, new regulatory mechanisms have emerged relying on chromatin atomic-scale dynamics and chromatin meso-scale phase separation. We are interested in dissecting the links among atomic-scale chromatin dynamics, higher-level chromatin structure, and biological functions.
We combine Biochemistry and Biophysical methods such as NMR and Hydrogen-Deuterium Exchange-MS with Cell Biology, and Genetics to explore genome organization across length and time scales and understand how cells leverage the diverse biophysical properties of chromatin to regulate genome function.
We are looking for creative and passionate people at any stage in their careers, including: lab manager, senior research scientists, and research associates. Candidates will train to lead and design experimental projects that aim at understanding the link between genome organization and function.
Specific projects include: develop tools to study genome 3D organization and phase separation; apply biochemistry and biophysics to study chromatin structure and dynamics across scales; and apply emerging methods to study phase separation in nuclear biology. For more information and recent work, see https://sanullilab.stanford.edu/
The Sanulli Laboratory is a dynamic, interdisciplinary workplace that will provide unique access to cutting edge technologies and scientific thought, with the potential for widespread recognition of scientific contributions. We value a diversity of values, backgrounds, and approaches to solving problems.
The candidate for this position should have experience with standard molecular biology techniques and mammalian cell culture and/or biochemistry; a high level of initiative and motivation, the interest in training in different disciplines, the ability to work independently and with a team; excellent communication, organization, and time management skills; and the ability to think creatively to solve problems.
- Optimize biochemical assays and/or cell-based assays.
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in lab. Interpret and perform basic analyses of results.
- Evaluate and recommend new emerging technologies, approaches, and problems.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researchers.
- Work with team members to develop, design, and carry out experiments that are essential to the group's collective success.
- Interpret experimental results; document, summarize and present findings in individual and group meetings.
- Consult with team leader on priorities, methods, and timelines.
- Maintain a detailed organizational plan and record to ensure successful and timely completion of required tasks.
- Contribute to establishing laboratory protocols, setup, and standards for Sanulli Lab.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Degree in biology or related scientific field. Highly motivated candidates of all levels are encouraged to apply.
- 2+ years of experience in a research laboratory.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques, biochemistry and mammalian cell culture is preferable but not required.
- Meticulous record keeping and organizational skills.
- Careful attention to detail in all laboratory techniques.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate experiments with co-workers.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 87264
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency