Associate Vice Chancellor for Financial Management and Chief Financial Officer (internal)
This posting is for current Pennylvania State System of Higher Education employees.
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Financial Management and Chief Financial Officer has fiscal, operational, supervisory, decision-making, and strategic responsibility for the finances and assets of the State System. The successful candidate will make key strategic recommendations to the Executive Vice Chancellor and will work with many different internal and external constituencies to ensure that the System's finances and assets are properly stewarded, resources are appropriately allocated, compliance is achieved, and processes are efficient and effective. This role oversees the Systemwide functions of accounting, budgeting, cash management, capital financing, facilities planning and management, and risk management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluation of the financial health of the universities and the System, and the impact of potential key decisions on financial health.Accurate and timely financial reporting for the System, including review by external auditors (federal, state, and public accounting firms) and tax filings. Effective operation of internal controls over financial operations. Maintaining appropriate funding mechanisms for the allocation of state operating and capital appropriations to the universities.Development of the System’s financial plans, including operating and capital budgets.Cash and capital debt management, bond issuances and related accounting and reporting.Investment management of the State System's operating capital and banking services.Strategic physical plant asset management and campus safety and security at all institutions.Oversees the System’s risk management program.
- 10 years of progressively responsible management and administrative experience, preferably in public higher education, which includes experience in accounting and finance, planning, policy development, analysis, and leading significant projectsRelevant experience within Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education preferred
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, or a related graduate degree with Undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting is added value
- Sound knowledge in accounting and finance; and familiarity with investment management and debt management, budgeting, and facilities planningThe appropriate judgement and experience to develop and maintain proper controls and systems of accounting, and the appropriate background and understanding to ensure these are applied and occurring effectivelyExceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, negotiation, problem solving and complex business case analysis skills that lead to timely actions and/or recommendations. Familiarity and demonstrated success working in an environment requiring extensive consultation with key stakeholder groupsUnderstanding of the university environment and its academic and administrative componentsUnderstanding of and meaningful experience with technologically-advanced financial and administrative systemsAbility to manage in a complex and dynamic environmentAbility to motivate, develop and lead staffDetail-oriented and able to coordinate/manage multiple tasks simultaneouslyStrategic thinking and tactical execution skillsEthics/integrity
- A CPA designation preferred.
Applications & Resumes will be accepted until position is filled, however; to ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than close of day on September 21, 2020.. Incomplete applications will not be considered. This position is open to internal State System of Higher Education employees initially.
All applications for this position must be submitted via our online application/resume system ONLY. Please do not fax, mail, or e-mail any documentation. Please include Resume/CV, letter of application explaining how the candidate’s experiences and skills make him/her a highly qualified candidate for the position, and contact information for 5 professional references
Successful interview, reference checks, background clearances (PA Criminal, Child Abuse Clearance & FBI Clearance), and demonstration of ability are requisite qualifications for all positions.
The State System is very interested in hiring employees who have had extensive experience with diverse populations.
We are an AA/EOE/member of the PA State System of Higher Education and actively solicits applications from women and minority candidates.
The State System of Higher Education does not discriminate in employment or educational opportunities on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. To discuss a complaint of discrimination, please contact the KU Office of Social Equity, Old Main A-Wing, Room 02, by phone at 610-683-4700 or the Office for Civil Rights located in the Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg., 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-1100, by phone at 800-421-3481 (TDD: 800-877-8339), by fax at 202-453-6012, or by e-mail at [email protected].