To advance the college’s mission, vision, principles, values, and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision, the instructor is responsible for teaching ESL courses to students enrolled in the Kirkwood High School completion program in Iowa City at the Iowa City Learning Center and/or in Coralville at the Kirkwood Regional Center at the University of Iowa. The instructor also assists students in transitioning from ESL courses to other Kirkwood related opportunities in collaboration with other Kirkwood staff members.
The class times are Monday-Thursday 7:30-9:00pm.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions. Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment. Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success. Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Assist students with coursework in a variety of formats including individualized instruction, computer assisted instruction, large group courses, and other methods.Collaborate with fellow learning center instructors on curriculum development, student intake/advising, and staff development activities.Conduct CASAS assessments for eligible students.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Provide contextualized, scaffolded, interactive instruction that includes cooperative learning tasks and implements ESL college and career readiness and CASAS ESL standards.
- Track attendance daily and submit reports.
- Respond in a timely matter to communications and requests from program director and coordinator.
- Participate in weekly team meetings and ongoing professional development opportunities.
- Be able and willing to represent the Kirkwood Community College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Possess the ability to develop, enforce, and implement policies and procedures to serve a wide range of students with varying backgrounds, abilities and personalities effectively.
- Assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions. Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, and the general public.Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communication.Use computer systems effectively for word processing, database management, and classroom instructional purposes.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Prior experience teaching adult ESL/ABE learners or working with adult immigrantsPrior experience teaching ESL or foreign language at any ageBachelor’s or master’s degree in TESOL, Education, Foreign Language Teaching or related fieldTESOL training/certification preferred, such as K-12 certification in ESL, bachelors or graduate studies in TESOL, TEFL certification or completion of MN Literacy Council pre-service training courses for adult ESL educators (http://online.themlc.org/).
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: [email protected] or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: [email protected]