Lab Tech I - Chemical Biology and Proteomics Laboratory, Dr. Gerald Joyce
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under general supervision, position performs tasks and experiments in support of academic research projects. Responsibilities may include: routine molecular biology, biochemical, and cell biology techniques. Maintains and prepares accurate records of all experiments. Assists with lab maintenance such as cleaning of laboratory glassware, sterilization of materials and preparation of solutions.
1) (100%) Lab Support
- Assist with general laboratory organization and maintenance, duties include but are not limited to, restock media, autoclave tubes, refill jars, dispose of boxes and waste, clean water bath, ensure inventory is maintained, and make LB plates.
- Assist with and perform chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, and immunology techniques
- Work with tissue culture and drosophila for handling and maintaining strains as well as infecting.
- Perform genotyping, including extracting DNA, PCR and gel electrophoresis and understanding of genetics.
- Perform tasks as needed by the gnotobiotic facility, may include autoclaving lab coats, prepairing autoclaved materials, lifting, handling, etc.
- Assist with mouse colony work, including planning and providing feedback regarding the colony.
- Prior experience in a laboratory setting
- Undergraduate coursework in chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, or biology
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the lnstitute's background investigation.
This position requires constant seeing, talking, hearing, reading, reasoning, communicating, and working inside.