Human Resources Manager II
The AZ Student Unions is seeking applicants for an Assistant Director for Human Resources (HR) to provide a full range of support to all areas of the department. This position will serve as the Student Union's internal HR Consultant Liaison to Divisional Human Resources and will regularly interact with all levels of management and other partnering units. Specifically, the Assistant Director will interface with employees at all levels pertaining to recruitment, compensation, benefits, employee relations, performance management, policy compliance and employee training and development. The position will play a key role in supporting the successful growth and development of the HR function including initiatives that help set the foundation for a supportive positive culture. The core of this position requires a highly motivated, positive and proactive person who embraces the opportunity to help grow an organization where innovation, creativity, and inspiration meet.
Knowledge,Skills, and Abilities
- Strong PC computer skills: Microsoft Word and Excel,Internet/email, etc.
- Advanced organizational and prioritization skills with multi-tasking;proactive and professional.
- Requires extreme sensitivity and appropriate handling of confidentialinformation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a pleasant, personabledemeanor.
- Ability to work with very diverse groups of people atall levels of authority.
- Ability to work in a complex organization that is fast-paced and constantly changing to meet current challenges. This position must function in thisenvironment on a daily basis and react quickly to meet pressing needs.
- Must have strong initiative and the ability to work independently withminimal
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to meet competing deadlinesunder pressure while maintaining accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent follow through on commitments, using sound judgment with theability to recognize and handle sensitive/confidential information.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact ofCOVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by theArizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will benotified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programsguidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn moreabout the programs and whether this position is affected, please visithr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
TheUniversity of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-lifeprograms. For more information about working at the University of Arizona andrelocations services, please visit http://talent.arizona.edu/
Leadership, Administrative, Operational:
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight to Student Unions HR and Payroll team.
- Develops, manages, and implements the Student Union's human resource strategy so that the Union attracts, manages, develops, and retains the employees it needs to achieve its current and future objectives.
- Serves as an advisor and functional expert on human resources activities, policies and procedures for Arizona Student Union.
- Directs and administers the Union HR programs, training, and policies for staff and student workers, and ensures quality operations of HR processes.
- Oversees Student Union compliance and reporting on HR metrics such as affirmative action program data, staff turnover, and employee engagement.
- Creates and cultivates relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for human resource management (HRM) to address questions/concerns.
- Documents/analyzes trends that may surface from inquiries and subsequently recommends solutions or courses of action.
- Develops and maintains all HRM communications.
- Additional Duties as assigned
Recruitment, Selection, Training & Development:
- Advises hiring departments on effective and creative recruiting strategies.
- Creates job advertisements based on approved job description and requirements. Functions in the expert role for the University’s applicant tracking system.
- Reviews applications (online) from candidates responding to position announcements and determines eligibility.
- Serves on selection committees for positions as needed.
- Coordinates background checks for candidates in assigned departments and serves as primary contact for adverse findings.
- Presents employment information at New Employee Orientation on a rotational basis.
- Assists in preparing and updating orientation materials.
- Conducts training classes on staffing and employment matters.
- Provides consulting, training, and assessment services to ensure continuous individual and organizational performance improvement in support of the Arizona Student Unions’ goals.
- Works closely with established team to determine policy needs, training opportunities and supervisory standard best practices. Works collaboratively to develop recommendations and drives improvements. Works as key resource to set in place recommended programmatic improvements.
Compensation, and Benefits:
- Performs research and analysis of positions and personnel actions including but not limited to, requests to fill positions, appointments, title/duty changes, pay adjustments and issues, departmental reorganizations and layoff processes to ensure appropriate classification and equitable pay practices are performed in accordance with campus policy, as well as Arizona Board of Regents and state guidelines.
- Serve as a compensation consultant, providing advisement and counsel to department leadership on classification and pay matters.
- Perform market research including national salary and benchmarking surveys, as well as local and regional market polling as needed, as well as partnering with University Compensation department
- Assist Leadership in job description writing to ensure correct job classification and UCAP mapping
- Assist in the research and evaluation of various internal reports to perform needs analysis for tracking and reporting and quality control purposes.
- Educate employees on benefits and retirement options offered by the University. This will include presenting information in New Employee Orientation as well as providing assistance to walk-ins.
- Assist employees in completing the necessary paperwork to enroll, cancel or make changes to benefit options.
- Serve as Leave Coordinator to facilitate Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other leave requests.
Employee Relations, Performance Management, Compliance:
- Serves as a key resource by collaborating with the Executive Leadership team and departmental staff to identify potential opportunities for efficiencies as well as process enhancements.
- Works with managers to ensure an understanding of the business requirements and create strategies based on best practices with a keen focus on identifying opportunities for improvement and providing actionable recommendations to drive necessary organizational change.
- Reports and investigates inappropriate behaviors exhibited by employees and supervisors.
- Assists in the investigation of violations of University policy.
- Recommends new procedures to ensure corrective action and conducts presentations when deemed necessary.
- Meets with employees regarding grievance procedures.
- Assists in composing disciplinary letters in compliance with campus policy and procedures and federal and state law on cause and due process.
- Responsible for gathering information necessary to respond to litigation, hearing, EEOC, or OIE charges.
- Serves as primary contact for performance appraisals.
- Formulates, recommends, authors, communicates, and interprets personnel policy.
- Performs exit interviews for all staff that leave the department voluntarily.
- Bachelor’s degree or educational equivalencies, AND, aminimum of 5 years of related work experience, including 2 years of managerialexperience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Master's degree
- Seven or more years of Human Resources experience
- Current or previous experience in Human Resources Manager role in a large (300+ employee) company/educational setting
- PHR/SPHR preferred
Open Date9/3/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to ApplyResume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.