Senior Accountant – Capital Equipment
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-08
The University of Virginia VP for Finance seek applicants for a Senior Accountant to perform professional accounting work of a complex nature. This position will execute institutional, state, and federal policies, procedures, and restrictions, ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in executing, analyzing, verifying, and reporting transactions of a fiscal nature, and advise management regarding the effective use of resources and methods to maximize earnings. Senior Accountants are responsible for monitoring records of past and present operations and may serve as a project leader on special projects. Work is somewhat routine in nature and performed under general supervision. Senior Accountants are responsible for the same duties as an accountant; however, they operate with additional authority, independence, or level of complexity and may be asked to provide additional support throughout the Finance organization. This role directly supports the Fixed Asset group with UVA Finance’s Financial Accounting and Reporting division; ultimately reporting through the Associate Vice President for Financial Operations, Augie Maurelli. This position offers a very generous benefits package and is initially limited to a 2-year term currently estimated to expire December 31, 2022.
- Analyze and process capitalized equipment, as well as operational components of equipment tagging across the enterprise.
- Create posting to the Oracle Fixed Asset sub-system ledger and will also be required to interact with other systems, such as those related to space.
- Assign work to bookkeepers, accounting clerks, and other employees engaged in general accounting activities, but is ultimately responsible for month end additions and adjustments as well as all monthly reconciliations.
- Create daily batch reporting as well as update activity in all interdependent systems.
- Aid in coordination of accounting matters with other departments, locations, and divisions.
- Perform analysis of financial transactions, ensuring adherence with federal, state, and University standards and regulations.
- Review and verify the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications.
- Analyze financial reports and records, making studies or recommendations on accounting reserves, assets and expenditures for the Financial Accounting and Reporting group.
- Perform special investigations into financial matters and fixed asset concerns.
- Develop or recommend accounting methods and procedures. Provide systems analysis.
- Work with other areas of Finance as needed, that include, but are not limited to cost accounting, sponsored research, leases and tax, and others.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic there are opportunities to telecommute though periods of work onsite will also be required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
Experience: Four years of accounting or related financial experience
Physical Demands:This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs, and requires the ability to do more physical hands-on work if needed.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $60,500 - $86,066.00 (commensurate with qualifications) with UVA benefits.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
Please apply through Workday, and search for “Senior Accountant – Capital Equipment". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter (addressed to Augie Maurelli) and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.