Medical Office Assistant, Senior - UVA Primary Care Commonwealth Medical
Job location: Culpeper, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
The incumbent is responsible for providing general administrative support in the Clinical Practice Group satellite office.
- Independently schedules and registers patients, takes payments and provides receipts.
- Answers telephones, screens calls, confirms appointments, maintains appointment schedule following office scheduling procedures. Refers callers to appropriate individuals, and gives routine information in accordance with established procedures.
- Administers patient "no shows" and "cancellations "according to office policy; call to reschedule as appropriate. May follow up with letter to patients for those unable to contact.
- Maintains cash receipts by totaling receipts, comparing to cash on hand, completing necessary paperwork, resolving problems on the balance sheet.
- Assists patients with insurance forms, which includes making sure all necessary information is provided, and contacting insurance company or patient as necessary.
- Checks in patients upon their arrival and assure patient information is correct and current.
- Checks out patients at their departure and assures accuracy and completeness of co-pays, charges and insurance information.
- Other projects and/or assignments as directed.
- Receives and distributes all incoming mail as back up to other staff positions as required.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two years of relevant experience required.
- Basic knowledge of and experience utilizing a personal computer.
- Basic word processing skills required.
- Must have ability to learn and use telephone, facsimile and copy machine systems.
- Prior experience utilizing medical billing software.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.