Medical Office Assistant Senior - Riverside Primary Care
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
The incumbent is responsible for providing general administrative support in the Multi- Specialty Clinic.
- Independently schedules and registers patients, takes payments and provides receipts. This includes performing any pre-certifications, as well as confirmation that referrals have been obtained for the patient’s visit.
- Checks in patients upon their arrival and assures patient information is correct and current including address, telephone number, PCP and referring physician.
- Request any clinical notes, test and pertinent information pertaining to the referred visit within 24-48 hours. Guidelines vary depending on the specialty.
- Responsible for preparing patients chart prior to visit. This includes any pertinent notes and/or lab results and could vary depending on specialty.
- Receives and distributes all correspondence, as well as as back up to other staff positions as required.
- Answers telephones, screens calls, confirms appointments, maintains appointment schedule following office scheduling procedures. Refers callers to appropriate individuals, and gives routine information in accordance with established procedures.
- Administers patient "no shows" and "cancellations "according to office policy; calls to reschedule as appropriate. May follow up with letter to patients for those unable to contact.
- Maintains cash receipts by totaling receipts, comparing to cash on hand, completing necessary paperwork, resolving problems on the balance sheet.
- Assists patients with insurance forms, which includes making sure all necessary information is provided, and contacting insurance company or patient as necessary.
- Obtains appropriate paperwork such as HIPAA forms, LTS card signature, medication list, encounter forms, including various forms as requested by specialty.
- Checks out patients at their departure and assures accuracy and completeness of co-pays, charges and insurance information. This includes scheduling future diagnostic appointments as needed.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Office Manager.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Two years of relevant experience required.
- Basic knowledge of and experience utilizing a personal computer.
- Basic word processing skills required.
- Must have ability to learn and use telephone, facsimile and copy machine systems.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.