RN/LPN/CMA/RMA - Patient Care Specialist
Job location: Culpeper, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
** A $2,000 sign on bonus offered to the hired candidate **
- Half in first paycheck
- Half after three months of employment
The incumbent is responsible for providing clinical support to physicians and patients in a Clinical Practice Group setting. These duties may include documenting in the EMR, pend orders per protocol, charge capture, inbasket management, perform patient care, vital signs, assisting physician with procedures, performing various laboratory tests and quality control indicators, administer medications and immunizations and telephone triage.
- Room patients and complete intake process per protocols.
- Manage clinic work flow
- Administer medications and vaccines. Perform venipuncture, start and regulate IV fluids and other ambulatory procedures within scope of practice and job role.
- Perform laboratory duties to include point of care testing (POCT), laboratory tests, and quality control indicators, preparing forms and following up on results.
- Responsible for specimen processing, test performance, and reporting test results. Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s Quality Control policies and document all Quality Control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and instrument maintenance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or test result reporting and correcting the problem or notifying the appropriate supervisor.
- Assist providers in procedures and perform various test independently.
- Operate spirometry, audiometry, tympanogram, EKG, and other equipment
- Evaluate lab work and advise provider of critical values.
- Manage EMR requirements to include: in basket, phone calls, prescriptions and results in a timely manner.
- Answer telephones, confirm appointments, maintain appointment schedule following office scheduling procedures.
- Obtain prior authorizations, waivers and consent for medications and procedures as needed.
- Triage patients and advise per protocol.
- Maintain appropriate inventory of medical supplies for the practice.
- Maintain medical instruments and ensure clinical areas are appropriately stocked and cleaned.
- Provide patient education and guidance under provider leadership
- Enter orders per protocol for providers to include medical tests/labs/imaging. Responsible for ensuring thoroughness of medical documentation. Completes all documentation tasks in a timely manner.
- Schedule consultation and specialty appointments, laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Document and charge capture for service rendered in EMR.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: Two years previous experience working in a medical practice preferred. Must have experience operating lab and medical equipment. Knowledge of OSHA guidelines and Universal Precautions protocols. Experience utilizing a personal computer and computerized scheduling.
Licensure: Current Virginia RN or LPN License or current Virginia CMA/RMA Certificate (certification only from AAMA, AMT, NHA or NAHP accepted). Presentation of nursing state license or certificate documentation is required upon employment and annually thereafter.
General busy clinical environment. The incumbent will be working in a office and patient examination room and is required to help move patients when needed and standing during portions of the physical examination. Physical activity required would include the ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50 pounds, and would involve standing for prolonged periods of time, as well as frequently bending/stooping and walking. Physical hazards include potential exposure to body fluids and associated pathogens/infectious disease, as well as potential exposure to chemicals.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.