Prosthetics and Orthotics Fitter
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
Prosthetics and Orthotics Technician Fitters have similar duties to that of Prosthetics and Orthotics Trainees. In addition, they have authorization to fit standard devices to patients, including shoe inserts and pre-manufactured braces. They are contributing to the patient experience by ensuring timely, safe, and efficient services. Prosthetics and Orthotics Technician Fitters work under the supervision of senior-level and certified practitioners.
- Assist in obtaining proper documentation and insurance authorizations for services provided.
- Make appropriate tracings, and keep charted records of materials used and any adjustments or changes made. Provide detailed clinical notes on patient records.
- Perform routine maintenance and simple modifications under direct supervision of practitioners.
- Collaborate with orthotic practitioners in the evaluation and analysis of a patient's need for orthotic services.
- Perform fitting, and execute minor modifications as necessary.
- Evaluate the performance of orthotic device on patients, adjusting to ensure fit, function, medical efficacy, and quality of work.
- Instruct patients in the use of orthopedic device. Provide follow-up information with patients and physicians.
- Identify and reconcile issues or problems to ensure patient satisfaction with devices provided.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. Associate’s or bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Experience: Two years of direct patient care in a related position such as an athletic trainer, cast technician, physical therapy assistant, certified medical assistant, certified nursing assistant. Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology, knowledge of safe use of hand and power tools, and the ability to interact with patients in a healthcare environment. Must have knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and electronic medical records, Epic preferred.
- Licensure: Certification as a Fitter is required within 1-2 years of hire.
Stands on tile over concrete to complete some tasks during each day.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.