Nuclear Medicine Technologist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-08
Responsible for performing routine to complex diagnostic and therapeutic technical procedures under the direction/supervision of a physician and Chief Technologist. Prepares and positions patients for scanning prepares and administers radioactive drugs and operates nuclear medicine instruments and imaging equipment including PET/CT camera. Collects prepares and analyzes biologic specimens and prepares data for interpretation. Responsible for performing radiation safety and quality control procedures on all Nuclear Medicine equipment required by the department.
- Performs high quality dynamic static SPECT and PET/CT imaging procedures utilizing patient population specific standards to obtain the desired diagnostic patient information for the referring physician.
- Performs various radiopharmacy duties including receipt preparation administration and storage of radionuclides and radiopharmaceuticals to ensure safety and integrity of the agents used.
- Performs various non-imaging procedures according to departmental protocol to obtain the desired result of information requested.
- Performs quality control procedures to ensure optimal performance of gamma cameras computers and other related auxiliary equipment (dose calibrators well counters video imagers Thyroid Probe and PET/CT camera etc.).
- Practices safe handling of radioactive materials according to departmental NRC and State regulations to ensure minimal radiation exposure to self and others.
- Performs various assigned duties to ensure the goals of the department are met.
- Demonstrates commitment to co-workers department and Medical Center through general standards of professional conduct to facilitate the efficient and smooth operation of the department.
- Performs various general support functions in department to ensure efficient utilization of time.
- Performs quality and compassionate patient care in order to ensure patient cooperation safety and satisfaction.
- Performs various record keeping customer service functions and communicates feedback in order to ensure goals of the department are met and operation runs efficiently.
- Participates in various teaching and/or learning opportunities in order to further his/her own personal knowledge and to assist in expanding the knowledge of others.
- Ensures proper safety standards are met.
- Operates required equipment necessary to produce scans using established guidelines and CT protocols.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent. Completion of an accredited Nuclear Medicine Technologist program.
Licensure: Registered Radiologic Technologist in Nuclear Medicine through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists or CNMT certification through the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping, reaching (overhead, extensive, and repetitive); Repetitive motion: computer keyboard. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 50 - 100lbs. May be exposed to, cold, dust, noise, radiation, radioactive materials, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.