Systems Engineering, Design & Development
Job location: 2420 OLD IVY RD OFFICE BUILDING
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-08
The Advancement Operations team at the University of Virginia is looking for a motivated Systems Engineer to automate previously manual processes, implement new software platforms and CRM, and create architecture for an integrated technology ecosystem that combines outsourced vendor platforms and in-house systems.
The ability to divide projects into phases and guide technical personnel will create meaningful ROI. Providing non-technical strategic explanations to build consensus and understanding across stakeholders at all levels is crucial.
A thorough knowledge of database architecture, cloud-based software platforms, and extract transform load (ETL) processes with data warehousing is key. Data accuracy, modern automations, and streamlined integration of online transactions are crucial. Oracle, Amazon Web Services, Azure, Salesforce and Tableau can all play potential roles in the evolving system.
We will configure new platforms with an eye to the future, while maintaining continuity of operations during transition from legacy systems. Shifting priorities and flexible collaboration across departments are to be expected and professionally managed.
We seek a self-starter; a team player and leader familiar with Agile methodologies, matrixed organizations, and project management who can maximize the power of collaboration and phased implementations across multiple software products.
If this sounds like you, we invite you to join our team and help us meet and exceed the goals of our comprehensive fundraising campaign at Thomas Jefferson’s flagship educational institution. This position is full-time, with benefits.
35% - Strategic Systems Configuration & Integration
- Analyze current resources, CRM, and vendor platforms. Propose scalable solutions and architecture for future needs.
- Streamline business processes and develop automations to replace manual processes.
- Troubleshoot software implementations and develop testing protocols.
- Provide leadership, project prioritization, and best practice experiences for technical staff.
- Act as intermediary between vendors, staff and stakeholders to ensure clear communications for new business practices.
30% - Data Warehousing
- Define business rules for cleansing and standardizing data updates and storing them in structured and unstructured data warehouses.
- Take part in ongoing master data management (MDM) to ensure incoming data from cloud-based platforms is correctly matched to existing constituents to establish an official golden record.
- Help cleanse, audit, and prepare data for transition to new Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Help implement new CRM and workflow necessary to modernize data standards and support best practices at UVA Advancement.
30% - Data Exchange
- Create extract, transform, load (ETL) operations to exchange data across cloud-based systems in line with industry standards and best practices.
- Increase data accuracy and save time by streamlining business practices, automating workflow, and performing quality assurance (QA) testing.
- Engage in paired programming, agile development, and version control best practices.
5% - Documentation
- Prepare and maintain detailed documentation of data processes, software configuration and other work for analysts and developers who may inherit responsibility for them.
- Use version control software and coding best practices to ensure maintenance and continuity of operations and backup systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline with at least three years of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience writing, maintaining, and testing SQL code, transferring data across systems using web service protocols. Extract, transform, load (ETL) responsibilities. Experience configuring and maintaining complex cloud-based software platforms.
- Knowledge of data architecture best practices.
- Experience with ETL concepts and tools.
- Excellent team player.
- The ability to plan, meet deadlines, and handle shifting priorities.
- Excellent written and digital communication skills.
- Experience with SQL – PL/SQL & T-SQL.
- Experience with Linux shell scripting – BASH.
- Experience with Windows, Linux, Oracle, SQL Server.
- Experience leading technical teams.
- Knowledge of Higher education CRM systems.
- Experience with Cloud-based systems, extract, transform, load (ETL) responsibilities.
- Leadership and consensus building, familiarity with Agile, Lean, Project Management (PMP).
- Experience with CRM platforms such as Salesforce, Blackbaud, Ellucian; Amazon Web Services; Azure.
- Experience with Microsoft SSMS; Linux; ETL tools such as Informatica, Jitterbit, MuleSoft; Version-control software, GIT; Tableau.
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon project need, availability of funding and performance. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for R0018394. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0018394. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.