Special Services Assistant, Access Programs
Special Services Assistant, Access Programs
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 03135
Posting Date: 09/09/2020
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date: 09/23/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $2,555.05 per month
Maximum Salary: $3,610.22 per month
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
- Flex 125
- Additional products and services through American Fidelity
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in CalPERS retirement system and Social Security benefits for Classified and Management employees. Employees covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
Benefit Website Link:
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide academic and career advisement to Special Services students; assist students in obtaining academic, career and personal goals; maintain related student records and reports.
-Provide academic and career advisement to assigned Special Service students; assist students in obtaining academic, career and personal goals.
-Meet with students to discuss goals and needs; monitor student progress; review individual academic progress with students; monitor student grades and attendance records; maintain and update information in student files and individual caseloads.
-Assist students with designing appropriate class schedules and with the class registration process; refer students to other departments as necessary.
-Interact with students in a variety of situations; respond appropriately to needs of students; contact crisis intervention staff members for immediate counseling.
-Coordinate and administer career inventories; monitor career testing process; inform counselor and students of monitoring data; follow-up on determined action.
-Attend and participate in partner and case load meetings; assist in the facilitation of group support classes and workshops.
-Communicate with other departments and outside organizations to exchange information and coordinate activities.
-Assist Special Services counselors in the instruction of Master Student classes.
-Compose a variety of correspondence including letters, caseload reports and drop forms.
-Distribute bus passes and parking permits to students and visitors.
-Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
*Any combination equivalent to:* graduation from high school supplemented by course work in counseling or a related field and two years of related experience.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service._
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions related to an assigned student services program.
- Diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Record keeping techniques.
- Methods of training and providing work direction to assigned staff.
- Provide assistance to students requiring a variety of counseling services.
- Assess student needs and develop viable plans and alternatives.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Train and provide work direction to assigned staff.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Understand and work within scope of authority.
Salary Grade: 33.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on September 23, 2020 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
- Completed application packet must include:*
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Unofficial Transcripts from all colleges attended showing degree(s) conferred (copies, and downloads are acceptable).
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Additional openings that become available prior to the end of the hiring process may also be filled from the qualified applicants.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/13942. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency