Editorial Office Assistant (Office of External Relations)
Editorial Office Assistant (Office of External Relations)
Salary: $3,653.00 - $4,622.00 Monthly
Job Type: Classified Full Time
Job Number: 202009042
Closing: 9/24/2020 12:00 PM Pacific
Location: Merced, CA
Department: Office of External Relations/Foundation
Interviews tentatively scheduled for the week of September 28, 2020
Merced College is a midsized community college located in California's Central Valley. Founded in 1962, the college serves more than 16,000 students with room to expand on its 267 acre main campus and 120 acre Los Banos site. Merced, incorporated in 1889, offers historical sites, affordable housing, access to the Bay Area and Sacramento, and is the Gateway to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra mountains as well as home to the University of California Merced campus. Our tree-shaded, growing community of just over 80,000 includes multiple biking and walking trails as well as access to several lakes - large and small - throughout the county.
This job description is under review. We're seeking an Editorial Office Assistant to support the social media and marketing functions of the Office of External Relations/Foundation. The right candidate for this position will collaborate with the Associate Vice President and Director of External Relations, as well as teams across the organization, to support an innovative and integrated communications strategy through media outreach and storytelling that builds the Merced College brand. The ideal candidate will be able to compose, create and edit social media messaging, press releases and marketing materials. If you excel in a high-energy and fast-paced environment, and are detail-oriented with a strong ability to multi-task, we encourage you to apply and be part of our dynamic team!
Merced College Vision
Merced College will provide transformative and empowering educational experiences to meet student and community needs.
Merced College Mission
Growing our community through education and workforce training:
- lifelong learning
- basic skills
- career technical education
- degree/certificate programs
Under general supervision, performs varied public information, public relations, and marketing duties, including photography, press releases, layout and design of publications, and marketing materials; varied secretarial and clerical duties; has responsibility for performing a segment of the technical/clerical functions, and does related work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Performs a wide variety of public information and public relations duties involving the use of independent judgment and an understanding of public relations functions and procedures
- Develops working knowledge of special terminology related to the assigned function;
- Composes and edits public information materials
- Interviews and photographs subjects
- Works with various college departments in developing public information materials;
- Assists the Area Dean in the development and publication of special projects, including department web page and social networking sites.
- Preparation of financial reports; answer telephones; create purchase orders; schedule meetings; take notes in meetings and filing
- Other related duties as assigned
- Publicity preparation
- Microsoft Word and Adobe PageMaker software
- Modern office methods and procedures
- Use standard English effectively
- Develop and compose a wide variety of public information and marketing materials including press releases, publications and reports, and print advertising in a timely manner
- Layout and design publications using graphic arts concepts and computer desktop publishing programs
- Foster a positive college image in the community
- Read, understand, learn and apply pertinent procedures and requirements
- Perform assigned technical/clerical procedures
- Work cooperatively with others
- Work independently and with a minimum of supervision
- Work with the public and district employees in an effective, tactful and diplomatic manner
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- Associate's degree OR High School diploma OR GED AND three (3) years applicable experience OR
- The equivalent education and experience
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- Bachelor's Degree in English, journalism, business, graphic arts or related fields
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in an office environment with some travel to different sites; incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation
- Ability to read printed matter and computer screens
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to bend and twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight
- Ability to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard
- Ability to reach in all directions
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
How to Apply: Candidates will submit a complete application on the Merced College Career page at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/transferjobs
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
- Legible unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts must include the degree major and date the institution granted the degree. Official copies are not required unless applicant is hired
- Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed highly qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee. Finalist interviews with district administrators may follow. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be scheduled via Zoom. Candidates are required to ensure access to the necessary technology to participate in a Zoom interview.
Employee Benefits: The District pays (with small contribution from employee) health, prescription, vision and dental insurance premiums for the employee and dependents. Life and income protection insurance premiums are provided for the employee only, as well as paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be fingerprinted and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. Merced College does not sponsor visas. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/jobs/2854750/editorial-office-assistant-office-of-external-relations
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency