Posting InformationPosition TypePermanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?NoPosition TitleResearch Technician - JourneyWorking TitleResearch TechnicianPosition Number20036962Vacancy IDP011904Budgeted Hiring Range$35,809 - $39,788Pay Band Information
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade EquivalentGN05Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Time-LimitedFull-Time Time-LimitedIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointmentHours per week40Work Schedule
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pmDepartment Name and NumberMed-UNC Blood Research Center-411494Date First Posted08/20/2020Closing Date09/09/2020Position LocationChapel Hill, NCPosition Posting CategoryResearch ProfessionalsDepartment Description
The Division of Hematology and Blood Research Center provides medical care to the people of North Carolina; serves as a referral center for patients across the United States and worldwide; educates medical school undergraduates, residents and fellows in the subspecialties of Hematology; and advances scholarly research, laboratory and clinical investigations in the health sciences. The activities of the Division are diverse and complex, and the patient care activities are broad in scope. Long-term care requires interaction of all members of the health care team. The Division provides a significant patient referral base to the Departments of Surgery, Pharmacy and Radiology. The revenue stream generated by new patients brought into the UNC Health Care System by this Division is an important source of support for these organizations. Research activities, including long-term clinical treatment trials as well as basic research can encompass several geographically separate laboratories. Research is funded by federal agencies as well as pharmaceutical and research companies covering a wide range of areas related to cancer treatment and epidemiology. The Division’s purpose is to integrate activity in patient care, basic and clinical research, and educational programs among participating elements to address evolving issues in science and medicine.Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description
The primary purpose of this Research Technician position is to carry out procedures, already established and in development, to investigate the role of hypoxia and cellular adhesion and inflammation, angiogenic factors, and markers of endothelial dysfunction in sickle cell disease.
This is intended to be a Time-Limited position with an estimated duration of 2 years.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Must have previous experience in a laboratory setting.
• Knowledge of physical and chemical properties of RNA, DNA and proteins.
• Knowledge of tissue culture and molecular biological techniques.
• General knowledge of laboratory techniques, the use of lab equipment and basic lab procedures.
• Ability to make independent judgments.
• Ability to understand and follow complex written and oral instructions as they relate to laboratory analysis.
• Ability to document assay results, prepare written reports and enter data into computer.
• Must demonstrate effective communication skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in the Biological Sciences strongly preferred.
• Competency with flow cytometry.
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- List of References
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in the biological sciences or a related field?
- * Please describe any experience you have working independently within a lab setting.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please explain in detail your experience using molecular biology techniques.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe what excellent communication skills means to you.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess the competencies necessary to perform the Research Technician position?