To provide, coordinate, and supervise, the maintenance, repair, and installation of plumbing facilities. Responsible for the safe and efficient performance of plumbing skills associated with the operation, maintenance, repair, or installation of plumbing systems, fixtures, apparatus and equipment.Description of Duties
• Plans, supervises, and installs pipes, sinks, traps, washbowls, toilet fittings, drains, special laboratory sinks and drain tables.
• Plans and schedules the work.
• Gives supervision to workers and participates in the work as needed.
• Assigns workers to specific jobs; explains the work to be done; inspects the completed jobs.
• Performs inspections of building expansions; and orders materials for the maintenance or improvement of campus buildings.
• Makes periodic checks of plumbing facilities and report’s findings to superiors.
• Consults with various supervisory personnel concerning the planning of new facilities or remodeling projects.
• Repairs and maintains valves, faucets, traps, sinks, and vents.
• Connects hot water heaters, gas heaters and furnaces and tests for safety.
• Repairs sewer pipes.
• Unstops clogged lines.
• Performs minor carpentry, digging and cleanup duties related to the assignment.
• Emergency work on weekends/nights.
• Records and verifies workers’ time.
• Identifies material and tool requirements; estimates costs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
General direction from the assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.Required Education
High school diploma or equivalent.Preferred Education
Journeyman plumber license.Required Experience
Five (5) years of skilled/journeyman level plumbing experience including two (2) years of supervisory experience.Preferred Experience
Six (6) or more years of the above experience.Equipment
Skilled use of wrenches, pipe-cutting and threading tools, metal saws and other similar tools of the trade and the use of gauges and pressure equipment in checking for leaks.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Must be able to perform strenuous physical duties, including but not limited to those listed above. Exposure to outside environments, hot, dry, wet, and cold; some work in restricted spaces, exposure to dampness, dust, some duties and working conditions may create bodily strain and discomfort. Duties may involve the carrying, lifting and moving of heavy objects, bending, stooping, crawling, climbing, reaching, and other activities requiring physical exertion; exposure to sewage and disagreeable odors. Work may involve digging and working in trenches to locate and repair pipes. Danger of falls, chemicals, electrical shock and burns, and hazards and conditions inherent to the trade or assignment.Other
This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment CategoryFull-TimeMinimum SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosted SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Available Date07/30/2020Grant Funded PositionNoIf Yes, Provide Grant Expiration DateEEO Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25290Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Training Certificates
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Additional Document
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts