ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN II
To provide mid-level technical skills in the construction, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical, electronic building automation, hvac, electronic, and fire alarm related systems and equipment.Description of Duties
• Installs and performs preventive maintenance on building automation, hvac, electrical, electronic, and fire alarm systems
• Documents all scheduled actions performed to comply with compliance rules, regulations, and best management practices applicable to the design, installation, and operation of hvac, electrical, electronic, and fire alarm related systems. This includes, but is not limited to, NFPA, NEC, ASHRAE , and IBC rules and regulations.
• Monitors and calibrates building automation, hvac, electrical, electronic and fire alarm systems.
• Independently troubleshoots, replaces, and repairs building automation, hvac, electrical, electronics, and fire alarm related equipment, such as sensors, dampers, motors, automation panels, controls , electrical panels, conduits, disconnects, breakers, and wiring, variable speed drives, coffee makers, and washers and dryers.
• Works in conjunction with facilities management, safety and staff personnel to ensure proper operation of equipment for optimum safety and security and indoor air quality and comfort level.
• Responds 24/7 to emergencies involving building automation, hvac, electrical, fire alarm and elevator systems.
• Communicates with others in order to gain an understanding of specific needs and/or provides technical advice.
• Based on area of assignment, may be required to inspect, test and maintain security systems, emergency phones, light dimmer systems, electronic scoreboard, shot clocks, and sound systems.
• Based on area of assignment, may be required to collect and analyze building automation system data, equipment schedules, and historical logs to ensure more efficient operation of pertinent equipment and analyze computer generated and phoned-in facility related problems, prioritizes and coordinates proper responses.
• Other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
May supervise assigned staff.Required Education
High school graduation or equivalent. Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.Preferred Education
If applicable, ability to obtain NICET certification in Fire Alarm systems within six months of hire.Required Experience
• Three (3) years experience in electrical/electronic equipment/building automation/fire alarm related equipment, systems analysis, maintenance, repair, or installation, or
• One (1) year of the required experience with an Associate’s degree or equivalent from a 2-year college or technical school.Preferred Experience
Knowledge and skill in the use of test equipment, meters, generators, and all equipment used in the hvac, electronics, electrical, automation controls or and fire alarm trade. Use of personal computer and standard office equipment.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Industrial, office and educational environment. Some travel and weekend work is required. Work involves occasionally having to respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis. Will be occasionally exposed to outside environments such as hot, dry, wet or cold.Other
Some work is in restricted spaces with exposure to dust. Some duties and working conditions may create bodily strain and discomfort. Duties may involve the lifting and moving of heavy objects, stooping, crawling, climbing, reaching, and other activities requiring physical exertion. Danger of falls, electrical shock and burns are hazards and condition inherent to the trade or assignment. This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical. Position requires the use of personal protective equipment in the form of safety shoes, safety glasses and protective eyewear.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment CategoryFull-TimeMinimum SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosted SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Available Date07/30/2020Grant Funded PositionNoIf Yes, Provide Grant Expiration DateEEO Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25293Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Additional Document
- Training Certificates