Posting DetailsJob TitleLaboratory Scientist/UKHCRequisition NumberRE24421Working TitleDepartment NameH3200:Laboratory ServicesWork LocationLexington, KYGrade Level09Salary Range$19.66-31.91/hourType of PositionStaffPosition Time Status Full-TimeRequired Education
BSClick here for more information about equivalencies:http://www.uky.edu/hr/employment/working-uk/equivalenciesRequired Related Experience
No experience required.Required License/Registration/Certification
Regular use of computer workstation and repetitive motion. Occasional standing or walking with objects up to 10 pounds. Occasional exposure to cuts/punctures and burns and to blood borne/airborne pathogens.Shift
40 hours/week with some rotating shift requirements and on-call responsibilities.Job Summary
Support COVID testing in the Microbiology Lab.
The Laboratory Scientist will be primarily responsible for the processing and workup of blood cultures and other cultures. The Laboratory provides services to all aspects of this Level I trauma center and throughout the healthcare enterprise, including solid organ and bone marrow transplant, KY Children’s Hospital, and Markey Cancer Center.
This position is also responsible as needed for specimen processing, specimen triage, order processing, rapid and stat testing, gram staining and reporting positive blood cultures, performing multiplex and routine molecular assay, media QC and monitor/stock supplies, and reporting routine cultures.
The CAP-Accredited Laboratory at the University of Kentucky showcases the use of state-of-the-art instrumentation and technology.Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
This position requires excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and problem solving skills and good keyboarding skills. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to multi-task and work as part of a team.Does this position have supervisory responsibilities? NoPreferred Education/Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science or Microbiology and previous experience in a clinical microbiology laboratory preferred.
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare seeks to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent employees, to provide the best experience for every patient, every time. If selected for a position, do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Values of diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork?
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please choose the answer that best describes your amount of paid employment experience in a clinical microbiology laboratory.
- More than 0, up through 1 year
- More than 1 year, up through 2 years
- More than 2 years, up through 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Have you completed at least one college microbiology course?
- * Describe an example of your ability to multi-task within a fast-paced work environment.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter