Assistant Acquisitions Editor (134854)
Assistant Acquisitions Editor
University of Illinois System - Urbana
The University System Office seeks an Assistant Acquisitions Editor to be a member of the acquisition program involved in discussions of focus and direction of publishing program. This position works closely with the Press's acquisitions staff in supporting the development and acquisition of a robust list of general interest and scholarly titles in a range of humanities and social science disciplines. The Assistant Acquisitions Editor provides skilled administrative support to acquisitions editors in managing the cultivation of prospective authors, the development and evaluation of manuscripts, the preparation of projects for transmittal into production, and other aspects of project management entailed in guiding new book projects through all phases of the acquisitions process.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Support list development
- Assist editors with evaluating and processing submissions: create project records, coordinate and track peer review, obtain cost estimates and art assessments, and prepare and distribute project descriptions and packets for committee discussions.
- Work with authors to finalize their submissions and prepare manuscripts for transmittal to production: assess permissions and captions; assess formatting of final electronic text files; coordinate evaluation of images; obtain cost estimates; deposit final files and images on server; and identify images available for promotional use.
- Prepare project descriptions and other materials for committee discussions. Research book projects, series, and sources of outside funding. Provide support in preparing grant applications.
- Attend scholarly meetings and conferences on behalf of the Press. Maintain professional and productive relations with authors, series editors, and other Press departments. Serve as positive representative of the Press to the public. Some travel required.Contribute to a culture of teamwork, continuous learning, and collegiality within the department and with other groups at the Press. Foster innovation and cross-departmental collaboration and contribute to Presswide initiatives.
- Participate in hiring and training initiatives, and in professional development initiatives, as appropriate.
- Other duties and responsibilities appropriate for an Assistant Acquisitions Editor.
Education and Experience
Required: Bachelor's degree in a humanities, social science or related field.
Preferred: Pertinent experience in book publishing or related enterprises (e.g., magazine publishing, library, bookstore, newspaper, Yearbook, public relations).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with authors and colleagues.
- Ability to track multiple projects, meet deadlines, prioritize, and work under pressure.
- Experience with word processing, database, internet, and Microsoft computer applications.
- Sharp proofreading skills.
- Independent problem solver and open to challenges.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Assistant position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after September 17, 2020. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by September 17, 2020.
Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Angela Foster at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.