Associate Provost for Illinois International - Illinois International Programs (132189)
Associate Provost for Illinois International
Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
12 months 100% Position
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
Illinois International – Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Associate Provost for Illinois International. Illinois International refers to the Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies, its functions, and its reporting units. We are dedicated to supporting campus internationalization through administrative, academic, and programmatic services and initiatives. Learn more about Illinois International (link to https://international.illinois.edu/).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
Provide leadership, direction, and administrative oversight of Illinois International, including International Safety and Security, International Business Operations, Global Relations, and Communications as well as the Office of International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS), Global Education and Training (including the Intensive English Institute and the Shanghai office), and the Office of Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange, under the direction of the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies (VPIAGS). Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team providing advice and guidance to the VPIAGS on matters related to the leadership of Illinois International and internationalization of the campus. Provide visionary, strategic, innovative, flexible, and change-oriented leadership.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide leadership, direction and overall administration for the development, coordination, and implementation of services provided under the VPIAGS.
• Initiate, supervise, and perform analysis relevant to institutional planning, policy and program development, program evaluation, and decision-making.
• Assist senior administrators in identifying and understanding emerging internal and external issues and changes that may provide opportunities or challenges to the international community.
• Leverage the expertise of Illinois International within the campus to create meaningful collaborations and elevate the visibility of the Office of the VPIAGS and its services.
• Supervise and lead staff to achieve success and foster a culture of innovation and high-level performance at both the individual and the organizational level.
• Provide leadership for the creation and offering of internal professional development and training opportunities for all Illinois International staff.
• Provide oversight and implementation of unit and campus policies and procedures.
• Represent Illinois International on unit and campus committees as appropriate.
• Serve as liaison to various college and campus entities.
• Serve as second-in-command to the VPIAGS and represent Illinois International in the absence of the VPIAGS.
• Master’s degree
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience in senior management with budgeting and supervisory responsibilities.
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience in leadership and demonstrated skills in fiscal management.
• J.D. or Ph.D. in Higher Education, Comparative and International Education, International Studies, or related academic fields.
• Significant experience studying or living in another country.
• Experience working in another country within the higher education sector.
• 8 or more years of administrative experience with successive levels of responsibility.
• Familiarity and knowledge of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or a similar research university.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, diplomatic, and negotiations skills; skills in planning, organizing, integrating information, making decisions, and attaining results.
• Expert skills in interpersonal communication and relationship building.
• Strong program management, organizational, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, with a customer-service orientation.
• Ability to develop and implement an organizational vision, strategy and goals with, and for, staff and key stakeholders.
• Ability to successfully lead, collaborate with, and interact with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to think strategically and resolve conflict.
• Ability to engage constructively and diplomatically with a wide variety of constituents.
CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive and major public land-grant university (Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) that is ranked among the best in the world. Chartered in 1867, it provides undergraduate and graduate education in more than 150 fields of study, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides public service to the state and the nation. It employs about 3,000 faculty members who serve over 33,000 undergraduates and 15,000 graduate and professional students. More information about the campus is available at www.illinois.edu. The university is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana (total population 207,000) in east-central Illinois, and is situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 125 miles west of Indianapolis, and 170 northeast of St. Louis. The University and its surrounding communities offer a cultural and recreational environment ideally suited to the work of a major research institution. For more information
about the community, visit: https://with.illinois.edu/advancement/living-in-c-u/ or https://www.champaigncounty.org/
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
Salary is commensurate with experience. The University of Illinois also has a dual-career partner placement program and is strong committed to work-life balance and family-friendly programs for faculty and staff https://provost.illinois.edu/faculty-affairs/work-life-balance/.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT:
This is a full-time 100%, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis, including 24 annual vacation days, 11 annual paid holidays, 12 cumulative sick leave days, plus an additional 13 non-cumulative sick leave days, if needed, each year. Health insurance is available to employees (with the option to purchase coverage for spouse and dependents), required participation in State Universities Retirement System (SURS), with several options for participation in additional retirement plans. Newly hired employees are covered by the Medicare portion of Social Security and are subject to this deduction.
PROPOSED START DATE:
The start date is negotiable.
For full consideration, please create and submit your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information, including name, email, and phone number for three professional references by 10/05/2020. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Applicants are encouraged to specifically relate their background and experience to the requirements of the position as outlined above. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date; however, no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact:
507 E. Green St, Suite 409, MC-417
Champaign, IL 61820
email: [email protected]
You may also visit https://international.illinois.edu for additional information.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illinois International Programs Category:2-Administrative Title:Associate Provost for Illinois International - Illinois International Programs (132189) Open Date:09/08/2020 Close Date:10/05/2020 Organization Name:IPS Admin