Assistant General Counsel / Director of Employee Civil Rights & Title IX / Director of Employee...
Job Vacancy AnnouncementFunctional TitleAssistant General Counsel / Director of Employee Civil Rights & Title IX / Director of Employee RelationsPosition TypeAdministrative/ProfessionalAppointment TypeRegularFTE %
100Work Schedule (if atypical)Job Description Summary
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you’re passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
Civil Rights & Title IX Responsibilities
Maintain equal opportunity, affirmative action, and other civil rights and Title IX compliance-related issues involving ULV staff and faculty. This could include but not limited to:
- Higher Education Act of 1965
- Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Equal Educational Commitments
- Title IV Financial Aid
- Executive Order 1360 (Nondiscrimination)
- Sexual Violence Elimination Act of 2013 (SaVE)
- Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Receive Reports, complaints/grievances related to issues of civil rights discrimination from students, employees, and/or campus visitors; provide determination findings and work to resolve issues.
- Receive Reports, complaints/grievances related to issues of Title IX complaints from students, employees, and/or campus visitors; provide determination findings and work to resolve issues.
- On behalf of the institution and in conjunction with legal counsel, respond to information requests from the Equal Employment Opportunity office, the Office of Civil Rights, and other state/federal agencies as needed.
- Develop, recommend changes, and/or update policies and procedures as needed.
- Provide guidance, training, and work with other campus departments to advocate and promote nondiscrimination, equal opportunity, affirmative action, diversity and inclusion, etc.
- Maintain current Civil Rights and Title IX training.
Director of Employee Relations
- Conducts investigations related to informal and formal employee complaints.
- Responds to all employee relations inquires, corrective actions, and provides supervisory /employee coaching and related compliance training facilitation.
- Provides direction, leadership and education to supervisors and/or employees on broad range of employee development and performance management matters.
- Promote positive employee development and performance management methods strategies. In collaboration with the Associate Director of Training and Development and Employee Relations, develop strategic training programs and initiatives to address relevant regulations and policies.
- Ensure that the ULV HR Department is in compliance with all relevant Federal, State laws and regulations, and ULV Policies.
Assistant General Counsel Responsibility
- Maintain records and reports; work in conjunction with Office of General Counsel and other University departments on document retention as needed.
- Serve on committees, task forces, and advisory boards as needed; participate in institutional professional development and training.
- Actively manage University litigation, mediations, and arbitrations as assigned by General Counsel. Monitor litigation matters and provide advice and counsel to respective College Departments upon request; make recommendations to settle cases as needed.
- Assist with Due Process hearings, investigations, as well as disciplinary action and correspondence, when requested by Human Resources.
- Perform Legal work and duties as assigned by the General Counsel
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Required to be California Bar Licensed at the time of hire, or obtain their California Bar License within 12 months of hire.
- At least three years’ experience practicing Employment law
- At least three years’ experience as a working in a Civil Rights or Title IX position, or professional experience conducting investigations, writing fact-finding reports, and developing/delivering training required; experience working in higher ed HR, college student conduct, and/or civil rights/equal opportunity field in an educational setting preferred
- Good knowledge of University policies & procedures; foundational knowledge of federal and state regulations relating to discrimination and investigation of complaints
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure guidelines
- Experience with researching policy/procedure/law and conducting investigations relating to compliance
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and in writing, in addition to mediation skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution; ability to speak with individuals about sensitive and difficult topics
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.U.S. News & World Report rates La Verne Online No. 1 in California for the third consecutive year and 24th best in the country. Washington Monthly’s 2016 “America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners” rankings place La Verne No. 3 among private, 4-year institutions in California.
La Verne is Tier 1 in U.S. News 2017 “America’s Best Colleges” National University rankings for the seventh straight year, and again made Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” rating (WASC Accredited).LocationLa Verne Central CampusNumber of VacanciesPosting Number2018-190645SASpecial Instructions to ApplicantsOpen Date12/09/2019Close DateOpen Until FilledYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Referred by University of La Verne Employee
- University of La Verne Website
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3