IT Phone Support Technician, Help Center
Information Technology (IT) supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University through providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DUs Impact 2025, the division partners with administrative and academic units to align strategic goals and operational plans, providing unified service in the spirit of "One DU".
The Information Technology Help Center, located within the Anderson Academic Commons, provides customer focused IT support campus-wide, at the University of Denver, which includes: phone, email, online, and drop-in services for all faculty, staff, and students.
Reporting to the Manager of the Help Center, this position is responsible for answering technical questions through phone and email; troubleshooting and configuring on-campus network connectivity and off-campus access to campus resources; helping students, faculty, and staff with Microsoft Office applications, DU system and application support (email, passwords, etc.), and basic software and hardware troubleshooting. This includes over the phone, email and remote support during business, evening hours and/or weekends. Additionally, this position will communicate ongoing problems with co-workers and management and escalate hardware/software issues when needed.
This position will have a combination of remote and on campus work. Further clarification on a work schedule will be discussed with the Hiring Manager.
- Promptly answers Help Center phone calls, web tickets, and emails.
- Monitors and escalates ServiceNow web tickets for system issues and outages.
- Provides assistance and troubleshooting for DU systems, applications and software for the University community.
- Assist with Drop-in (in-person) traffic as needed as well as any lab issues that may arise.
At the higher end of this position, the employee will become proficient in more advanced tasks and assume additional responsibilities such as:
- Deploying applications via Active Directory.
- Troubleshooting and answering questions via webchat.
- Auditing KB articles for accuracy.
- Mentoring new staff and being a resource for questions.
- Eligible for working evening shifts and covering weekend shifts.
- Assisting Help Center Leadership with projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good organizational skills, punctuality, and dependability.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to communicate with diplomacy, tact, and judgment, both in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to gather, organize, and analyze information for the purpose of identifying needs and possible solutions during the troubleshooting process.
- Ability to prioritize work requests, manage projects, and be able to perform tasks without being distracted.
- Ability to adapt to changes quickly, perform well under pressure, and be able to change behavior in relation to others actions.
- Demonstrate and constantly update your understanding of Help Center policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with operational and technical resource phone numbers and effectively control traffic flow and escalations.
- Good communication, teamwork, and telephone skills. Articulate and comfortable with customer duties and skills.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous call center or customer service experience.
- Associates degree or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working in a fast paced, customer-focused environment.
- Previous experience in a college or university setting.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Apple and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office, computer network configurations, and Active Directory.
Weekdays and/or weekends. Hours may vary depending on the Academic term. Minimum of 15 hours/week.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $13.50.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.