Director of Campus Safety
Date: May 29, 2020
Title: Director of Campus Safety
Description: Under the supervision of the Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Experience, the Director of Campus Safety assumes responsibility for the safety/security of the College’s population and property which includes approximately 1200 students, 350 faculty, staff and other employees and 21 buildings as well as the Pine Lake campus. The Director supervises department personnel including 14 full and part time assistant director, safety officers, and dispatchers. The Director administers security and policy enforcement operations, accident and crime prevention, environmental and fire safety activities; and parking.
- Lead, plan, organize, manage and direct all activities of Campus Safety in accord with College procedures and policy, including hiring, training, direction, supervision and budget.
- Direct and control 24/7 patrol of College property to prevent/detect crime to protect life/property, enforce rules/regulations and render service to the public
- Conduct planning and research related to all aspects of Campus Safety
- Oversee the investigation of all criminal activity on College property
- Serve as a Deputy Title IX Coordinator and primary investigator for Title IX matters
- Maintain records of all incidents, accidents and safety problems
- Maintain Clery records and file Annual Campus Safety/Security Report and Fire report
- Coordinate and report on the annual state fire inspection with the Environmental, Health and Safety Manager.
- Oversee Key Control Program
- Oversee Driver Approval Program and Van Training
- Develop and assign employees to training programs that support policy enforcement, fire safety and AED training
- Conduct performance evaluations and investigate complaints against members of the department
- Conduct educational programs for students/staff in interest of crime, accident and fire prevention
- Develop and maintain formal and informal communication with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies and fire departments
- Establish/maintain an effective vehicle registration and parking control program
- Request assistance from outside agencies as appropriate to support the mission of Campus safety and the College
- Produce, maintain, review, and update the Campus Safety Operations Manual; the Emergency Response/Crisis Management Manual; Driver Approval Program; and Risk Management issues;
- Coordinate fire drills, first aid classes for Campus Safety members; serve as a representative of the college at meetings with safety and fire investigations
- Keep abreast of and review state and federal legislation pertinent to safety on a college campus
- Create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents
- Participation in significant campus activities including Welcome Weekend, True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend
- Expected to comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations
- As a representative of the College, expected to comport him/herself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus
- Perform other job related duties as assigned
Minimum qualifications for this position are a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or technical school, and at least 10 years of experience in police, campus safety, or equivalent field, with five years of progressive supervisory experience. State or local police background and an advanced degree is preferred. A clean driving record and valid driver’s license is required.
The ideal candidate will have leadership and management skills sufficient to lead a staff operating on a 24/7 schedule; expensive investigative experience, including Title IX investigations, and the ability to handle crisis situations. Time management skills, as well as the ability to work on multiple projects at once are necessary. Must have a high level of communication skills across multiple divisions, and the ability to relate to and interact effectively with diverse populations. Sensitive administration of details pertaining to the safety of campus. Lengthy training in accident prevention, fire safety, as well as other safety methods and risk management is required.
The Director is regularly required to walk to boundaries of the campus, including the navigation of the numerous outdoor staircases.
To apply for the Director of Campus Safety position, please click here All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.