Stationary Engineer - Prem Pay
Posting DetailsWorking TitleStationary Engineer - Prem PayPosting Number2020017CPClassification TitleStationary Eng 2 - Prem PayClassification Code4602KRCW Exemption CriteriaNo ExemptionEWU Position NumberC99903CUPA CodeNo MatchFLSANon-ExemptBargaining Unit BU 1% Full Time100Salary / Wage RangeCS - 49GXSalary Information
$58,020 – $65,628Anticipated Start DateAs soon as possibleTerm of Appointment12LocationCheneyCountySpokaneProject DescriptionProject DurationBackground CheckYes - BothResponsible HR UserVara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email [email protected] Summary
Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a Stationary Engineer 2- Premium Pay. This position is responsible for overall operation and maintenance of a high pressure heating plant consisting of one or more boilers up to 150 h.p. each or tending high pressure power boiler system consisting of two or more boilers over 150 h.p. each. The successful candidate must be able to exercise independent judgment and decisions concerning operations and safety activities of the steam heating plant.
On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 10 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Successful candidate must be able to work in elevated ambient temperature.
This position requires a pre-placement physical and hearing test.
If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]Pre-Placement Physical YesHearing Test YesMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
Ear, eye, face, fall, respiratory, UV protection; chemical apron, gloves, hard hat, tyvek coveralls, safety boots, welding gearRequired Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Must have NIULPE Second Class Stationary Engineers License or City of Spokane Stationary Engineer 2 License within 12 months of hire for continued employment.
- Possession of a valid drivers license is required.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Three years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems.
- Journeyman status as SteamFitter/Pipe Fitter, Millwright or HVAC/R Tradesman
- Certificate of completion of an advanced Stationary Engineer course from an accredited vocational/technical school or community college and two years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems.
One year of State service as a Stationary Engineer 1.
Rotating 3 shift schedule.Posting Date08/21/2020Open Until Further NoticeYesClosing DateScreening to Begin09/08/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form. Professional references may be the same as listed on your resume.
4. Respond to the online questions if applicable.
5. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Responsibility in the operations of boilers or chillers and plant auxiliaries. Make rounds and inspect operating equipment as required.
Diagnose system operating difficulties and causalities. Take preventative measure to minimize same. Inform the Assistant Director and the Stationary Engineer 4 of all encountered problems. Perform all related preventative and corrective maintenance tasks directed when on shift, or when assigned maintenance duties.
Start and stop plant equipment as required to make independent judgment as to what equipment is to be operated for optimum efficiency.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time25Responsibility / Duty
Perform boiler water/cooling tower chemical tests and confer with other Stationary Engineers 2’s and supervision about the results, make adjustments as determined.
Monitor Cheney/Spokane campus via computer for proper operations. Answer phone, recorded messages: call out other trades as needed for “off hours” repairs and/or other emergencies
Inspection of tunnel distribution system, maintenance and repair of tunnel/plant/Spokane Center equipment, boilers, chillers and auxiliary systems.
Reports emergency situations and equipment deficiencies when they occur. Follows university policies and department procedures and practicesEssential Function IndicatorYes% of Time5Responsibility / Duty
May be assigned specific responsibilities and duties pertaining to plant equipment and maintenance. Monitor key box and reports keys that are out after hours to responsible supervisor.
May be assigned team leader as individuals/teams are encouraged to continually learn/think and contribute ideas on how to improve processes that affect them. This team viewpoint is required to successfully coordinate plant operations to meet the goals of the department and the university
Operates University vehicle and possesses Washington State Driver’s License
Perform other duties as required.Essential Function IndicatorYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you offer a high school diploma or GED?
- Do you have a valid Driver's License?
- Are you at least 18 years of age?
- Do you currently posses a NIULPE Second Class Stationary Engineers License or City of Spokane Stationary Engineer 2 License? If not can you obtain the required licenses within 12 months of hire.
- Yes, currently posses NIULPE second class stationary engineer license
- Yes, I currently posses a City of Spokane Stationary Engineer 2 lincese.
- Yes, I currently posses both licenses
- No, I don't currently posses either license but will obtain with 12 months of employment.
- No, I don't possess the required licenses and will not be able to obtain with in 12 momths of employment.
- This position requires one of the following: A) Three years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems OR B) Certificate of completion of an advanced Stationary Engineer course from an accredited vocational/technical school or community college and two years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems OR C) One year of State service as a Stationary Engineer 1. How do you meet this qualification?
- I have three years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems.
- I have a certificate of completion of an advanced Stationary Engineer course from an accredited vocational/technical school or community college and two years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure
- I have one year of State service as a Stationary Engineer 1.
- I do not meet this requirement.
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Response
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2