Job no: 226672-US
Work type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, Office & Administrative Support
This is a customer-service focused position providing crucial purchasing support to principal investigators, research staff, and operational staff throughout the Wisconsin National Primate Research Center (WNPRC). Under general supervision of the Grants Manager (Admin Program Specialist), this position requires close coordination with the OVCRGE Accounting Services and with UW-Madison Business Services to provide critical operational support for a dynamic research center.
The Purchasing Associate supports development specifications and contractual documents with suppliers for goods and services; manages documentation and timing of release and receipt of solicitations in compliance with regulations; releases and distributes purchase orders, supports responses to purchasing records requests, and enters information into purchasing related databases and enterprise systems on behalf of the WNPRC.
This is a key service-oriented position within the WNPRC Administrative Services team that requires a positive and enthusiastic approach, as well as a high degree of initiative. Additionally, this position requires detailed tasks to be prioritized effectively. The successful candidate must be able to relate well, communicate well, listen well, and follow through. Previous experience working in an academic research environment, especially in a research center, is desirable.
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
No Degree RequiredMinimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
Qualified applicants will possess the following knowledge and skills to be successful in this position:
1. Strong working knowledge of online systems and databases required. Prefer hands-on experience with UW-Madison online systems, such as [email protected]
2. Familiarity with a wide range of policies and procedures specific to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Business Services, in particular Purchasing Services, highly desirable.
3. Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and maintain confidentiality required.
4. Strong organizational skills necessary, including the ability to efficiently and effectively manage multiple tasks with numerous interruptions. Must demonstrate meticulous attention to detail.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including the ability to relate complex information in an understandable fashion to a variety of people with different levels of knowledge on the topic.
6. Demonstrated ability to succeed in a customer service position required.
7. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment necessary.
8. Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and Internet searches, and previous experience working with databases and web-based applications required.
9. Must possess a valid driver's license that meets standards of UW Risk Management in order to operate WNPRC vehicles.
10. Must have the physical ability to lift up to 40 pounds and to sit, stand, bend, reach, squat, twist and push.
The WNPRC is a tuberculossis-free environment.Department(s):
Monday through Friday 8:00 to 4:30 with a 30-minute lunch period.
Schedule may be flexible as permitted by operational needs.
Minimum $17.00 HOURLY
Depending on Qualifications
Please provide a cover letter and resume highlighting your relevant work experience as it relates to this position. You will also be asked to provide 3 professional references.Contact:
PURCHASING ASSOCIATE(16500)Employment Class:
University Staff-OngoingJob Number:
226672-USThe University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) Project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in Fall 2020. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://hr.wisc.edu/title-and-total-compensation-study/.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Applications Open: Sep 3 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications Close:Sep 17 2020 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time