Research Engineering TECH II - Pulse Power(OSPRES), KMIDE, 76699
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 34382
Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy(KMIDE)Job Description The Missouri Institute for Defence and Energy within UMKC is seeking a Research Engineering Technician II (RET II) to support the pulse power R&D team. The ideal team member will demonstrate:
- a passion for solving high-impact, real-world problems;a hands-on, pragmatic problem solving approach for mission-critical applied research;creativity and versatility in designing, prototyping, and validating pulse power solutions for complex electrical and computational problems; a curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn new skills, methods, systems, and technologies; effective verbal and written communication skills to inform and guide team-members; and,excellent organizational skills to prioritize and execute on parallel assignments and quick turnarounds.
- Design pulsed charging and pulse-forming networks for high-power/voltage and radio-frequency applications (HPRF);PCB layout, fabrication, and component selection.Track technical progress, milestones, and bill-of-materials for various R&D projects.Troubleshoot, repair, and modify pulsed power electronics using oscilloscopes, vector-network-analyzers, and power-meters, among other tools-of-the-trade. Conduct experiments on pulse-power systems, analyze the results, and communicate the impact to peers and supervisors.Identify, develop, and or acquire methods, procedures, equipment, materials, and tools for prototype R&D to meet project objectives. Perform and coordinate installation, validation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of lab equipment.Provide written, verbal, and/or presentation progress updates including technical reports. Guide, mentor, and collaborate with, students, peers, faculty, and organizations.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Ability to acquire and maintain a United States security clearance.
- B.S. degree in mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering and at least 5 years of experience in a research and development environment or equivalent;Experience collecting, plotting and summarizing data from standard and custom systems using manual processing and scripting;Experience with pulse power systems for high power, UHF/L-band applications, including pulsed-charging systems and pulse-forming networks;Knowledge and experience with safety protocols for HVDC and RF research;Experience or certification in soldering and electronics/electrical repair or installation;Experience in PCB design and layout software such as EagleCAD, Altium, Multisim, LTSpice, or equivalent;C++, python, or equivalent programming or computer interfacing experience;Experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); and,Currently/recently hold/held a United States security clearance.
Salary Range $19.47 - $27.38 hourlyUMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans, 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits. Full benefit details may be found at: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/Shift Full time, Monday–Friday, 8 am – 5 pm or comparable. As a results-orientated organization, we support flexible schedules. Expect occasional travel for research collaboration, conference attendance, and briefing.Application Deadline
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.Comments The Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy (MIDE) at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, is a fast-growing research institute founded to solve real-world problems by synthesizing physics and engineering principals with a pragmatic, results-driven and collaborative philosophy. Whether it’s restoring health and wellness in the urban food-desert, or developing state-of-the-art anti-drone technologies to protect our cities or troops, we’re on it. The team is growing and we want your help; solving wicked challenges in defense, energy, and health by transitioning fundamental solutions requires a team of highly specialized, knowledgeable, and passionate individuals who seek answers to hard questions in a collaborative environment with world-class research organizations from coast-to-coast.
For more information about the history of MIDE and our diverse team, check out our website:
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: