Nonwovens (NWI) Skilled Trades Technician
Position DetailsVacancy TypeTemporaryIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleNonwovens (NWI) Skilled Trades TechnicianSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$12.00/hr. to $20.00/hr., to vary based upon qualifications and experiencePosition Number06TOM1Work ScheduleHours will vary based on project/trial needs. During peak operations work hours may be up to 12 hours per day, 4 days per week. May include night shifts which are planned in advance.Full Time Equivalent (FTE)0.25 to 1.00Department063501 - Nonwovens InstituteDepartment The Nonwovens InstituteJob City & StateRaleigh, North CarolinaEssential Job Duties
The Nonwovens Institute (NWI) at North Carolina State University is proactively responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. With the full support of NC State, NWI is dedicating its meltblown and spunbond nonwoven making facilities and expertise to produce specially designed fabrics that can be delivered to U.S. manufacturers to assemble face masks.
- Maintenance, cleaning and sterilization of equipment and the laboratory.
- Maintenance and ordering of inventory, and various record keeping functions.
- Work as a cohesive team member and play an integral part in creating a positive work environment.
- Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of the laboratory environment, one must be committed to performing the necessary tasks of the role with precision on a consistent basis.
- Safely and skillfully operates vehicles and warehouse motorized equipment. Examples of operating vehicles and/or equipment may include but are not limited to: car, van, box truck, forklift, and scissor lift.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- No loose clothing/jewelry and long hair tied back
- 100%Cotton undershirt with Cotton/Cotton-poly blend shirt, and thick 100% cotton long pants (loose fitting), Closed toe shoes
- Work attire shall be supplemented, as necessary, with the appropriate gloves and other PPE necessary for the tasks to be performed. Please reference PPE Assessment and Standard Operating Procedures with Lab Managers before beginning work. If you have questions, check with your supervisor to determine appropriate dress for your job.
- PPE to be provided and worn:
NWI Pilot Labs (TEX, CTI & Partners) – protective eyewear, safety shoes
- Eye protection must conform to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Standard Z87.1-1989. Prescription safety glasses are required for employees who must routinely wear safety glasses in lieu of fitting safety glasses over their personal glasses. All safety glasses shall have side protection.
- Steel-toed Boots (University provides up to $100 towards the cost)
- Experience in, or knowledge of, manufacturing machine operation
- Experience with Safe Work Practices
- The ability to lift and carry up to 60 pounds frequently, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Good communication skills.
- Commitment to safety standards.
- Ability to train/drive a forklift within first 30 days – training will be provided.
- Ability to Identify and Properly use hand tools.
- Working knowledge and skill in the use of laboratory equipment.
- Basic knowledge of appropriate cleaning and sterilizing materials and techniques.
- Ability to clean and maintain the laboratory and equipment according to written directions and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion of all research.
- Ability to listen to instructions, and ask the necessary questions to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to learn running a small scale fabrication/manufacturing facility including maintenance, set up, cleaning, machine operation, defect analysis, and laboratory tours as needed.
- Previous industry experience with manufacturing
- Operate a forklift
- A working knowledge of nonwovens fabric characteristics and how machine process effects these characteristics.
- Spunbond Process and Equipment
- Meltblown Process and Equipment
- Hydroentangling unit
- Carding Unit
- Wet spinning unit
- Needle loom
N/ASpecial InstructionsJob Open Date09/03/2020Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.09/10/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date09/15/2020AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have work experience in a manufacturing environment?
- What does "PPE" stand for? How important is safety on the job?
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires demonstrated attention to detail and safe work habits. Please describe a past work scenario under which you demonstrated these skills.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate your current student status, if applicable.
- May 2020 Graduate
- Masters Student
- PhD Student
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References