MRI Veterinary Technician
Posting DetailsVacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleMedical Support TechnicianBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitleMRI Veterinary TechnicianSalary Range$31,200 - $61,687Anticipated Hiring Range$37,000-$42,000Salary Grade Equivalency68Position Number00106800Work ScheduleMonday through Friday, 7:30am - 4:30pmDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department192001 - CVM Teaching HospitalDepartmentCVM Teaching HospitalJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH), established in 1983, is one of the highest rated veterinary academic medical centers in the country, serving communities throughout North Carolina as well as many other states. The hospital staffs over twenty clinical services with board-certified specialists that are nationally and even internationally renowned, ensuring the VH is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care. Each year, nearly 25,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th-year veterinary students from College of Veterinary Medicine, and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine.Essential Job Duties
This position provides technical assistance to the NC State MRI Unit and the Diagnostic Imaging Service. The individual will act as the Veterinary Technician for the department, providing anesthesia monitoring, unique customer service, technical assistance, data collection, and patient care. The position interacts with both private owners as well as referring veterinarians (RDVM) and internal clinicians, staff and students. Position is the primary point of contact for client check in, patient admitting, updates, and questions. Performs various technical procedures including; anesthesia support and monitoring, Intravenous catheter placement, venipuncture, IV injections, drug administration (IV, Oral, Subcutaneous), radiographic and ultrasound support, and various routine diagnostic testing.
Provides excellent patient care by applying full knowledge of anatomy, physiology, disease processes, pharmacology, specialized equipment usage, and specialized drug administration.
Records a variety of data relating to patient care, radiographic testing and treatments, and client communications. Provides quick and accurate information regarding each patient, acting as the liaison between client and veterinarian. Is proficient in entering data into electronic medical record.
Maintains a clean working environment to ensure Infectious Disease standards are followed and infection is not spread. Handles all medical/biological and infectious waste appropriately. Follows all radiation safety, OSHA, and Environmental Health and Safety standards.
Keeps all necessary equipment in clean and working order and has all necessary and appropriate stocked supplies available for procedures and daily patient husbandry.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
Completion of an accredited training program in the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Some positions may require additional Training, Certifications, or Licensure.Departmental Required Skills
- Ability to work in a Zone 4 High Magnetic Field Environment.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- Ability to provide high-quality customer service.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work beyond scheduled work hours when needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and be an active participant in problem-solving and team advancement.
- Ability to work effectively with computers and electronics.
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment to ensure high-quality care for all patients and request assistance when needed.
- Desire to teach 4th-year veterinary students.
At least 3 years of previous veterinary technician experience.
Knowledge of administering anesthesia.
Registered in NC as required by law to administer anesthesia.
- Registered/Licensed/Certified by any state.
- NC Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) or eligibility for the NC RVT exam required.
- NC RVT exam eligibility requirements include graduation from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program and a passing score on the National Veterinary Technician Exam.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) or will you be eligible for the NC RVT exam by the date of hire? NC RVT exam eligibility requirements include graduation from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program and a passing score on the National Veterinary Technician Exam.
- * Do you have experience administering anesthesia?
- Yes, I have experience administering anesthesia
- No, but I am knowledgeable in the practice(s) of administering anesthesia
- No, nor am I familiar with the practice(s) of administering anesthesia
- * Are you able to lift up to 50 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References