Posting DetailsVacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleFacility Maintenance Technician – Building TradesBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleLocksmith IISalary Range$31,200 - $66,138Anticipated Hiring Range$40,000 - $42,000Salary Grade Equivalency63Position Number00062607Work ScheduleM-F, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department443401 - Trade ShopsDepartmentGrounds & Building ServicesJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The 900+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University’s teaching, research/administrative space and 2,240 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that conform to codes and regulations, while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building, and equipment modifications to the University.Essential Job Duties
Primary job responsibilities for the Locksmith II position include, but are not limited to:
- Servicing, repairing and installing all door hardware, including fire rated exit devices, closers, mortise, and cylindrical locking hardware;
- Understanding and knowledge of hardware manufacturer installation specifications and guidelines
- Understanding of NFPA 101 and NFPA 80 life safety and fire codes, and the ability to locate and research needed materials associated with job from vendor source.
- Monitoring and tracking all orders for timely completion.
Handling project management tasks, and having a working knowledge of processes and time lines.
- Providing cost estimates and proposals.
- Working knowledge in key bittings array for small format master keying, pinning of cores, ability to research and collect information pertaining to customer needs.
- Communicating with customer scope of work needed
This position has been designated as mandatory personnel for the University and may be required to report to work during adverse weather conditions even though the University may be operating on an alternate schedule. This position may assist with snow and ice removal under the direction of a supervisor.
Other job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting other trades as required.
- Checking and re-checking work of others considering accuracy with respect to standards and code compliance.
- Maintaining on-call status; Mandatory on-call service rotation will be to provide after-hours emergency service when paged.
- Responsible for continuing education and license renewal requirements.
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the Trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Departmental Required Skills
Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and
other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
Knowledge and skills necessary that relates to keying a building, paperwork and documentation associated with rekeys and the ability to coordinate key meetings, pinning cores, cutting keys, and installation of hardware.
Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds frequently, with or without reasonable accommodations.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- 3+ years locksmith experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, i.e., Word, Excel.
- Experience in AiM work order system is preferable, but not contingent
- Institutional Locksmith Association and/or Associated
Institutional locksmith Association membership.
- Certified Journey Level certification and/or Fire Door Inspector
certification, but not contingent for position.
Valid Driver’s license required. Must be able to obtain a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire and it must be maintained.
Current locksmith license required.Special Instructions
Applicants may submit an optional resume and cover letter.
If you submit a resume, please make sure your work history on your resume is identical to your work history on your application.Job Open Date05/28/2020Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)06/04/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAlternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Facility Maintenance Technician-Building position.
- High school diploma/GED
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and trade(s) experience to equal 4 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 3 years experience)
- None of the above
- * A valid driver's license is required. This license must be maintained throughout employment. Do you have a valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- * Are you able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently, with or without a reasonable accommodation?
- * Do you have considerable knowledge of master keying systems and of the standard practices and methods of the locksmith trade?
- * Do you currently have a locksmith license?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you currently have a locksmith license?
- Cover Letter