Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Posting DetailsVacancy TypePost DocIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime-Limited Appointment LengthNoIf Yes, Appointment Length12 monthsWorking TitlePostdoctoral Research ScholarAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00105958Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8am - 5pm (additional hours as needed)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department111801 - Entomology and Plant PathologyDepartment 111801 - Entomology and Plant PathologyJob City & StateRaleigh, NCEssential Job Duties
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology at NC State University welcomes applications for a Postdoctoral Research Scholar position. The successful applicant will: 1) develop molecular markers to detect fungicide resistance in Pseudoperonospora cubensis, causal agent of cucurbit downy mildew, 2) assess the ability of Pseudopernospora cubensis to develop resistance to fungicides during the growing season, and phenotype populations of P. cubensis with respect to fungicide sensitivity. The postdoc will meet frequently with Dr. Peter Ojiambo to discuss best practices in grant writing, manuscript preparation, and mentoring.
The appointment is initially for 12 months with an extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding.Other Work/Responsibilities
The successful applicant will participant in writing research-related publications and attend scientific conferences to present research findingsMinimum Experience/Education
Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., M.D., D.V.M., Sc.D.) in appropriate field awarded no more than five (5) years from initial date of postdoctoral appointment.Departmental Required Skills
- PhD in Plant Pathology, Genomics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline.
- Experience with laboratory, greenhouse and field research.
- Experience in plant disease epidemiology, population biology and bioinformatics analysis in developing genetic markers for fungicide resistance.
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, CV, Contact Information for Three (3) Professional ReferencesJob Open Date08/21/2020Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.09/14/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date09/21/2020AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a PhD in Plant Pathology, Genomics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline?
- * Please describe any experience you have with laboratory, greenhouse and field research.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience (if any) in plant disease epidemiology, population biology and bioinformatics analysis in developing genetic markers for fungicide resistance.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References