Sr. Surgery Services Representative, FT, Site Registration, Palm Beach Gardens
Job location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The department of Site Registration is actively seeking a Sr. Surgery Services Representative to work from the Palm Beach Gardens office. The individual in this position is responsible for coordinating all the functions and activities related to patient access and surgery coordination, including, but not limited to, front end customer service, scheduling of surgical procedure in CARE, ordering of tissue, scheduling of pre-admission medical clearance visits in UChart, accurate patient registration in UChart, discharge planning, transportation, and hotel arrangements. This position acts as liaison between patient, physician, and hospital and requires interaction with the medical staff of the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine, clinical and support staff, insurance companies, patients and their family members.
- Schedules and registers patients as per established policies and procedures in both the UChart and CARE systems. Performs these tasks accurately with attention to detail to ensure the highest quality of standards and in accordance with all HIPAA guidelines relating to patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Locates clinic chart, out guides clinic chart to appropriate area and makes copies of clinical notes.
- Obtains pertinent documents from patients and makes copies for scanning into the UChart scanning system.
- Validates patient identification by using two main identifiers in addition to patient name (Date of Birth, Social Security Number, and/or Medical Record Number).
- Creates visit and ensures that the appropriate Patient Type & Location is used during the registration process since this task directly affects the billing process, clinical systems outcome and medical records management.
- Reviews and verifies registration data in UChart and makes any appropriate changes as necessary including insurance coverage information, Bypass warnings, registration work queues, and completion of Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire, if applicable.
- Interviews patient to determine financial classification status. Reviews financial liability with each patient and explains hospital and professional fees, as well as Global and Flat Fee options. Explains insurance benefits/coverage, if applicable and collects required financial liability. Refers patients unable to meet financial obligations to the on-site Financial Counselor.
- Documents all financial transactions in UChart.
- Informs the patient of all required forms, obtains all required signatures, and distributes copies accordingly.
- Ensures accurate billing of services rendered by checking that the appropriate Financial Status Classification (FSC) and insurance plan has been selected in accordance with UMMG and Hospital Division contract summary protocols and that insurance is pre-verified.
- Collects all co-payments, co-insurance amounts, deductibles, and non-covered amounts for both Hospital & Professional prior to surgery.
- Coordinates patient activities and checks to ensure that pre-operative, post operative and surgery dates are booked in UChart and CARE and informs physician of dates through email.
- Utilizing the CARE system identifies surgical procedures and reviews physician orders. If applicable, orders tissue as per established guidelines.
- Creates both a financial and a medical file and checks to see that physician has completed all the required forms.
- Obtains information from patient and completes discharge planning form.
- Performs the required compliance-checker process (use of the Health Works ABN Compliance Checker software) for all diagnostic services being rendered to all Medicare patients (about 30% of the patient population) to ensure medical necessity and inform patients of any testing that may not be covered so that patients understand their potential financial liability and sign the required Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) form, if applicable.
- Creates a Patient Identification wristband for each patient as part of the Risk Management protocols and validates it upon placing the wristband.
- Other duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, some college preferred.
- Three years of experience in a hospital, clinic, or physician office setting or equivalent healthcare or customer service related field.
- Computer Literate, proficient in Microsoft related software.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. Able to interact and assist patients of all ages, cultural backgrounds, and special needs. Bi-lingual English & Spanish, or English and Creole a plus.
- Excellent math and analytical skills. Must be able to effectively handle high volume of work with constant interruptions and distractions.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service, problem solving and team work.
- Able to work in a fast paced stressful environment and maintain a professional demeanor when dealing and communicating with co-workers, physicians, support staff, patients, visitors and all outside contacts.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, skills and experience will be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103