Registered Nurse - Part time temporary employee
Job Title: Registered Nurse - Part time temporary employee
Location: Campus Health Services
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 605051
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
- Must be flexible and available during clinic hours from 8a-5pm; days and times may vary depending on need.
- Will be assisting with care management of COVID 19-positive students and employees.
- May also work with COVID 19 triage/advice call center responding to questions. Requires strong verbal and written communication skills; should be comfortable interacting with patients in person, via emails and over the phone.
- Working in team environment with other medical personnel.
- Must have current, active Arizona RN or LPN license.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
Participates as a member of the health care team in providing primary care services to college students and NAU staff in an ambulatory setting. Although the Registered Nurse (RN) will work in close collaboration with other health professionals to provide safe, high quality patient care, the role also requires autonomous, independent decision-making; strong organization and prioritization skills, and the ability to utilize critical thinking to solve problems. Provides consultation and guidance to Medical Assistants (MAs) and student workers. This position reports to the Director of Nursing.
- Administers allergy desensitization injections under the protocols of Campus Health Services (CHS) and patient’s allergy medical provider.
- Triages patients presenting for care either in person or by phone; assesses urgency of medical or mental health care needs and determines appropriate actions steps to meet patient needs.
- Promotes optimal clinic flow and coordination/continuity of care by monitoring patient caseload and redistributing as needed, communicating with other clinic staff as necessary.
- Assists in implementing the university’s pre-matriculation immunization requirement by reviewing students’ immunization records, administering vaccines, explaining requirements to students, and providing computer clearance to students in compliance with this requirement.
- Prepares patients for health care visits by documenting patient’s chief complaint, assessing vital signs per policy and providing appropriate supplies and patient drapes for exam.
- Assists physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants in meeting patients’ health care needs by assisting with exams, minor surgical procedures, medication administration, fitting orthopedic appliances, performing EKGs, and ordering lab tests.
- Makes nursing assessments and anticipates potential problems. Appropriately documents all nursing assessments and care.
- Provides appropriate education to patients in the prevention and management of illness, as well as health promotion. Makes referral to outside resources as needed.
- Cares for observation bed patients, documenting vital signs as needed, medications and other treatments, and condition of patient as appropriate.
- Performs independent nursing clinic visits such as blood pressure screening and monitoring, administration of immunizations and tuberculin testing, “pre-physicals”, HIV testing, oral contraceptive refills and Depo-Provera injections per CHS protocols and under the direction of the Medical Director.
- Provides health care advice by phone to NAU students or other eligible patients as appropriate, referring calls outside the nurse’s scope to another health care provider (NP, PA or MD). May report normal lab/x-ray results to patient upon request.
- Stocks and maintains adequate supplies in all patient care areas.
- Follows CHS Infection Control policies; autoclaves and mixes disinfectant solutions, per approved procedures, as needed.
- Follows CHS OHSA/Exposure Control Plan policies to promote optimal staff and patient safety.
- Develops and participates in continuing education, CHS committees and outreach as schedule allows.
- Develops and participates in continuing quality improvement activities.
- Assists in the orientation of nursing staff at the request of the nursing coordinator.
- Coordinates and oversees a specialty assignment such as triage, allergy clinic, inventory, Pap follow-up, case management activities or prescription follow-up.
- Provides input for written procedures, protocols, and policies at the request of the Director of Nursing.
- Attends staff meetings, shares information and participates in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Utilizes an electronic health record to document care, record patient interactions, and schedule appointments, as necessary. Conducts self in a professional manner at all times and projects a professional image of CHS to the community we serve.
- Currently licensed as a registered nurse in Arizona (BSN or ADN).
- One year of professional nursing experience.
- Experience in college health or ambulatory care nursing.
- Experience in triaging patients.
- Experience with electronic health record documentation.
- Current CPR certification.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of nursing theory, practice and statutory regulations
- Skills include, but are not limited to: IV therapy (including administration of IV medications), medication and immunization administration, EKGs, wound care, nursing assessment, and laboratory test result interpretation.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted hourly amount is $26 per hour.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.