Job Title: Case Investigator
Location: Campus Health Services
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605060
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This is a limited duration position, based on the circumstances of the need for COVID-based services on campus. Continuance of this position will be evaluated on a six month basis. The incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
There are five positions available.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
NAU’s Campus Health Services is hiring 5 Case Investigators to become part of their COVID-19 Response team.
Case Investigators will be part of a multidisciplinary team that will help to limit the spread of COVID-19 on the NAU campus by contacting people with a confirmed case and advising them on isolation protocols and symptom management. Case Investigators will work in tandem with Contact Tracers, Care Coordinators and other medical professionals to support and monitor cases. Case investigators will be cross-trained for proficiency in Contact Tracing and Care Coordination skills and may assist with those duties as well. These positions will work closely with Coconino County Health and Human Services. All necessary training will be provided.
Job Duties Include:
- Conduct interviews of cases with confirmed or probable cases of COVID-19.
- Inquire about symptoms and underlying conditions.
- Discuss date of symptom onset and exposure risk for close contacts.
- Discuss daily routines to determine who else may have been exposed.
- Collect information about potential contacts and enter into database.
- Assess support needs and make appropriate referrals.
- Provide recommendations for self-isolation and review symptom monitoring procedures.
- Conduct regular monitoring and outreach to assess for changes in symptoms and support PT compliance during isolation.
- Utilize Electronic Health Record and other technology to track communication and enter data.
- Participate in regular team meetings.
- Complete all necessary trainings.
- Make referrals to additional medical services, testing or other community resources as needed.
- Communicate with Coconino County Health and Human Services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1 year working in related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, public health, health psychology, social work, counseling or related field.
- Motivational Interviewing skills.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Education, Social Work, Counseling or related field.
- Experience working in a medical or public health setting.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, especially active listening.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Skills in negotiating.
- Emotional intelligence.
- Understanding of and ability to explain medical terms associated with COVID-19.
- Understanding of need for patient confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Basic crisis counseling skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Tactful interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and interviewing skills.
- Ability to learn and utilize technology.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $54,779 - $68,474.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.