GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor or designee, the Janitor performs general janitorial and custodial work in connection with cleaning and maintenance of a building, or a group of buildings.
- Clean all hospital areas such as: Patient Rooms, Operating Rooms, Emergency Department, and Isolation Rooms.
- Clean offices, labs, rooms, corridors, and other spaces.
- Clean, burnish, polish, buff, strip and refinish floors.
- Wash windows, woodwork, toilets/lavatories, washrooms and fixtures.
- Dust and polish furniture in offices, rooms, corridors, and other spaces.
- Maintain carpets, including vacuuming, shampooing, extracting, and seco padding.
- Empty and clean waste barrels, garbage cans and other receptacles.
- Move furniture as required.
- Exhibit appropriate human relations skills when interacting with patients, visitors, employees, coworkers, and supervisors.
- Has concern for work area, takes initiative to solve problems, is flexible in adapting to various situations, including those of all emergency nature such as floods, fires, major spills, etc.
- Consistently completes assignments with minimal supervision; is courteous to patients, visitors, etc.
- Assist other employees as necessary.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma, or equivalent experience
- Considerable knowledge of material, equipment, and methods commonly employed in housekeeping, cleaning operations.
- Ability to operate, care for, and make general repairs of vacuum cleaners, mops, wringers, brushes and other cleaning equipment.
- Possess appropriate human relations skills when interacting with patients, visitors, and co-workers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Working knowledge of the type, properties, quality, and uses of cleaning supplies and equipment, and their effect on various types of construction and finishes.
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor or designee
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Considerable walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, lifting up to 50 pounds, physical ability to reach, climb stepladders, possess sufficient vision, hearing, and speech to safely and efficiently perform the required tasks. Possess manual dexterity.