Senior Director, Office of Technology Management
Is a highly experienced and highly accomplished licensing professional. Under the general direction of the Executive Director, Office Technology Management, manages the intellectual property portfolios, licensing and sponsored research for select faculty and/or departments. Monitors compliance and performance of license and research funding agreements with regard to payment of fees, milestones, royalties, etc. Maintains extensive knowledge of Bayh-Dole statues and implementing regulations. Monitors adherence to office policies and procedures around agreement tracking, docketing, and record keeping. Manages office compliance with federal iEdison reporting system and regular reporting for the Office of Technology Management to UMMS, President’s Office and Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM).Responsibilities
- Maintains a comprehensive understanding of the research activities of their assigned faculty and departments.
- Actively encourages the regular submission of invention disclosures by faculty.
- Evaluates invention disclosures to determine patentability and potential commercial utility.
- Determines the initial list of inventors/co-inventors.
- Determines co-ownership of inventions where other institutions are involved and manages the relationship.
- Develops patent strategies for inventions either individually or as portfolios.
- Manages the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications.
- Manages the work of external law firms and approve their work product.
- Guides inventors through the patenting process in conjunction with patent counsel.
- Manages expenditures related to the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent dockets.
Licensing, Business Development, Sponsored Research
- Identifies commercially viable biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device inventions from their portfolios.
- Interacts with relevant industry companies to determine their technology needs.
- Identifies and solicits potential licensees and develops and successfully executes marketing plans for the relevant technologies.
- Works with inventors to evaluate their technology for possible start-up companies, assist in the preparation of business plans, present to possible investors, and negotiate deal terms and close on the transaction.
- Determines the appropriate strategy for each technology and potential licensee.
- Solicits potential sponsored research from all licensees.
- Negotiates and executes agreements, including evaluation, option, license, inter-institutional agreements, sponsored research and service agreements.
- Monitors compliance and performance of license and research funding agreements with regard to payment of fees, milestones, royalties, etc.
- Serves as liaison with staff in Business Development and Innovation group.
- Trains and mentors junior licensing officers.
- Maintains a comprehensive understanding of all activities related to OTM cases including potential spin-outs, sponsored research and other agreements or activities, including those of other Licensing Officers.
- Attends local and regional technology transfer and/or networking meetings.
- Presents on panels at local and regional meetings.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of intellectual property law.
- Maintains familiarity with the policies of Federal sponsors who fund biomedical research.
IT Infrastructure Vision and Leadership
- Conducts review of current information technology systems in Office of Technology Management.
- Prepares plans for updating current IT systems.
- Develops a vision for future IT developments.
- Leads development of IT systems to streamline office workflow and increase productivity.
Perform other duties as requred.Qualifications
- Advanced degree in the Life Sciences area. A PhD or MD highly preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in an academic or industry technology transfer function or other relevant experience.
- 2-3 years managing subordinates, performance evaluations, training and recommendations for hiring and termination of subordinates.