DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Department: Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR)
Job Title: Facility Support
Position #652786 – Requisition #19083
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient’s bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.The Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR) department has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Facility Support position.Job Summary:
The purpose of this position is to facilitate the normal day-to-day operations of the Center for Comparative Medicine. This position ensures appropriate sanitation of the general use areas, laboratory procedure space, and hallways in a secure vivarium. This position will be responsible for stocking and inventory control of all personal protective equipment, general use supplies, laundry, and cleaning supplies. This position will ensure appropriate trash removal from the facility. This position will be responsible for removal, sorting, weighing, and preparation of carcasses for pick up by the appropriate disposal vendor. This position will work with co-workers on large facility projects throughout the facilities. This position will be responsible for monitoring the facilities’ pest control program and keeping logs. This position may procure animal feed, bedding, and supplies from appropriate support areas and transports to required sites and may operate a university vehicle. Finally, this position will be responsible for performing minor facility repairs and painting as well as assisting with cage wash operations, as needed. Examples of Work Performed:
This Facility Support is a full-time position that will perform a variety of duties to include:
- Maintains and cleans facility procedure rooms, docks, laundry room, and corridors
- Maintains appropriate levels of supplies in assigned areas
- Ensures that waste containers are emptied and refuse placed in the appropriate waste stream
- Ensures that facility generated laundry is washed, dried, and delivered to the appropriate location.
- Performs upkeep of disinfection stations and disinfection bottles
- Empties, thaws and cleans carcass freezer
- Performs collections from laboratory areas of animal carcasses
- Removes the heavy animal carcasses from refrigerators and freezers and ensures that they are sent to the appropriate waste stream
- Stacks pallets of feed and supplie
- Ensures supplies and equipment is properly received, sorted, de-conned, and delivered to the appropriate location
- Provides sanitation by steaming, fogging or foaming of rooms, corridors, hallways, walls and doors within the facility
- Works with coworkers for large facility projects, including; decontamination, sanitation, equipment adjustments and equipment assembly
- Oversees the facilities’ pest control program and keeps accurate records and documentation of that program
- Maintains floor scrubber along with other cleaning equipment and tools
- Evaluates equipment to determine if equipment can be repaired and makes requests for parts orders
- Repairs include fixing the floor scrubber, patching/repairing holes in the wall, general equipment repair, replacement of wheels and bent shelves, and fixing watering valves/Lixits for large animals
- Installs utensil holders, hand soap dispensers, shelving, hooks, and other performs installation projects
- Assembles large equipment such as carts, racks, cabinets, and chairs
- Performs hose reel repair and replaces broken glove boxes
- Paints walls, doors, and metal equipment
- Performs other duties, as assigned
- The hiring salary range for this position has been established at $31,000 to $34,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience
- This position is eligible for overtime compensation
- Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
- Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
- Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- The tasks performed do not require any specific previous education or experience. However, mechanical aptitude and a willingness to learn are required.
- This position requires the individual to perform physical work involving general tasks including hauling, lifting, and moving.
- Experience keeping activity logs
- Experience in an animal research facility
- Experience processing dead animal carcasses
- Experience operating complex machinery
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to exchange and collect information and handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form, which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors.
- Computer skills that includes experience with e-mail and word processing.
- Knowledge of an animal research facility.
- Ability to maintain an activity log.
- Planning and organization skills.
- Mechanical ability
- Physical ability
- Must be willing and able to sit, climb stairs, stoop, crouch, squat, kneel, bend, and reach above shoulders on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to push and pull up to 100 lbs. on an occasional basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to use peripheral vision, and type/enter data on an occasional basis.
- Must be willing and able to stand and walk on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to use near and far vision and depth perception on a frequent basis.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 10 lbs. on a constant basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to handle, finger and feel on a constant basis.
- Must be willing and able to use hearing and verbal communication on a constant basis.
- Must be willing and able to work with dead animal carcasses.
- Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment or work around machinery or moving equipment.
- Must be willing able to work around noise and vibrations.
- Must be willing and able to work straight or rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing and able to work around hazardous chemicals/solvents, infectious agents, radioactive agents and work in hazardous conditions
- Must be willing and able to walk on uneven surfaces and work in small, confined spaces.
- Must be willing and able to wear appropriate respiratory and hearing protection as required.
- Must possess and maintain a current State of Colorado Driver’s License by the time of hire.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Sep 1, 2020
Unposting Date: Sep 11, 2020, 12:59:00 AM