Professor- Chief, Division of Psychiatry
Universityof Colorado – School of Medicine
Department of Psychiatry
Chief, of the Division of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences located at Children’s Hospital Colorado
The University of ColoradoDenver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitmentto creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value theability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diversebackgrounds.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, one of four campuses in the University of Colorado System, is the major academic medical center in the Rocky Mountain region. The Anschutz Medical Campus is home to the University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado and a new Veterans Affairs Hospital, making it one of the largest and most comprehensive biomedical research and clinical care centers in the western United States. With world-class health sciences research, educational and clinical facilities, the CU School of Medicine has established distinctive and highly productive programs, receiving research awards of more than $350 million per year, including more than $200 million from National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies. The School's total annual clinical and research revenue exceeds $1.2 billion per year. The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry has recently welcomed Department Chair, C. Neill Epperson, MD. Since her arrival in 2018 the department has grown substantially with the addition of foci in women’s behavioral health, stress and trauma, workforce expansion, affective disorders, brain imaging and substance dependence research, and integrated care. Since 2018 the department has added 65 new faculty and increased the annual budget from $65M to $70M including increase in clinical and research funding.
The Department of Psychiatry seeks a Chief, of the Division of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences located at Children’s Hospital Colorado. One of the largest divisions in the Department of Psychiatry with 128 faculty and a $15M budget, the Child and Adolescent Division has quadrupled in size over the past eight years. Children’s Hospital Colorado is extremely invested in the provision of behavioral health to children in the Denver Metro and surrounding areas and is committed to expanding the work of the Pediatric Mental Health Institute. The service includes a multitude of programs including inpatient, partial programs, ambulatory services, a 7 day psychiatric emergency service, a robust consultation liaison program, integrated services, and is very active in community services and education through the Partners for Children’s Mental Health and the pediatric primary care consultation program. In addition, the division has a robust and growing research focus including anxiety, developmental disabilities, integrated care, and brain imaging.
- Oversight of the clinical and administrative activities of the department to optimize the provision of high quality, efficient, and effective care and child health advocacy.
- Integration of the division into the overall functions of the organization in matters affecting patient care including personnel, supplies, special regulations and facilities.
- Leadership in strategic planning regarding the provision of psychiatric and behavioral services at Children’s Hospital Colorado and throughout the State of Colorado, working collaboratively with hospital leadership. Serves as the head of Pediatric Mental Health Institute, works as a team member with faculty, nursing, and administrative leadership .
- Development and implementation of policies and procedures that guide and support the division and department.
- Enforcement of the Hospital bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Maintaining a sufficient number of qualified and competent staff to provide care.
- Transmitting the criteria developed for clinical privileges by the department to the Medical Board.
- Transmitting to the Medical Board through the Credentials Committee department recommendations concerning the staff classifications, the reappointment delineation of clinical privileges in the division.
- Monitoring the professional performance of all individuals who have clinical privileges in the division.
- Determining the qualifications and competence of personnel who are not licensed independent practitioners and who provide direct patient care services.
- Assuring mechanisms are in place to involve the members of the division in monitoring and evaluations activities including the identification of important aspects of care provided by the division, the identification of indicators to be used to monitor quality of care, and the evaluation of the care provided.
- Periodic review of care to draw conclusions, formulate recommendations and initiate actions, and
- Communicating to appropriate members of the division, department, and hospital findings, conclusions, recommendations and actions taken
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees priorto their employment.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons withdisabilities.
Yourtotal compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University ofColorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributionsthat add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Pleaseclick here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed torecruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrativestaff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- MD, CO Physician License or Eligible for CO Physician License
- Board Certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Meeting Requirements for faculty appointment at Professor level
- 2-3 years in academic leadership position
- Demonstrated success in procuring research or QI funding
- Demonstrated success in managing growth within a hospital or academic institution, including programmatic development
- Demonstrated success in leading interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated successful mentorship
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion including culture change initiatives in this area
- Demonstrated success and excellence in teaching
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to identify, recruit and retain superior faculty members
- Ability to collaborate and develop successful relationships with many stakeholders
- Highest integrity and ethics
- Commitment to community service
- Outstanding writing and speaking skills
- Strong organization and program management abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain an environment which ensures mutual achievement
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the timeof hire.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Sep 4, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing