Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology Oncology Bone Marrow Transplantation
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position #680240 Requisition #19131
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology Oncology Bone Marrow Transplantation has an opening for a full-time (unclassified) Professional Research Assistant (PRA) position.The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.Nature of Work:
- Laboratory-based translational research on the immune recognition of cancer and hematopoietic stem cell biology.
- Conduct experiments; assist with project planning, data interpretation, training scientists, students, and volunteers; as well as, presentation of data and assist in grant writing and manuscript preparation.
- Seeking a motivated and experienced scientist who has the initiative and skill-set to take charge on in vivo projects and assist in various projects involving human tissue culture and molecular biology. The ideal applicant will be able to work in a team setting, have superb organizational skills and can assist in processing and managing numerous research samples.
- Due to COVID, a flexible schedule is needed to ensure efficiency in the lab. Our lab is currently operating on shifts that span the entire seven day work week and scientist’s are expected to do data analysis from home when they are not in the lab.
- Culturing of human hematopoietic stem cells, embryonic stem cells (ES)/induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) and differentiation of these cells into innate immune cells.Able to culture tumor cell lines, as well as primary lymphocytes (T and NK cells). Ficoll isolation, culture/expansion and manipulation of these cells.Multicolor Flow cytometry (FACS)Able to work with murine models of cancer and bone marrow transplantation; IP and IV injections, collecting blood, harvesting organs, IVIS imaging, and processing samples for flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry.Conducting experiments using techniques including, qPCR, cloning, transfection/transduction, protein/RNA extraction, single cell sequencing, immunofluorescence microscopic cell imaging.Incucyte cytotoxicity assaysAssistance in management of cell bank patient samples including but not limited to: picking up samples weekly from Children’s hospital; processing bone marrow; properly organizing samples in software and communicating with other researchers at the university for use of research samples.Preparing data for discussion and presentationAttending and presenting at lab meetingsAssisting with lab organization and upkeepAssisting in or producing publications
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services. University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities. Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation Diversity and Equity: Please click here for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science field or related field1 year minimum relevant lab experience. Lab experience may have been conducted while a student, but must not be class-basedBasic flow cytometry experience
- Competent with ELISAs, western blots, qPCR, and cloning. Previous experience with tissue culture and maintenance of various cell lines
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children’s Hospital Colorado Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
- Multicolor flow cytometry experienceMurine model expert. Ability to lead in this aspect and train others.Previous experience in presenting and/or aiding in publicationsCompetency with flowjo, Microsoft office, prism graphpad, and analysis software(s)ImmunohistochemistryExperience with CRISPR
- Good verbal and written communicationsAbility to stay organized under pressure Knowledgeable of professional laboratory protocols Ability to complete lab functions involving cell culture and aseptic techniquesCompetency with molecular biology techniquesAnimal experience (designing/mouse handling/injections/harvesting/sacrificing)Background in immunology and stem cell biologyExperience handing human blood products, specifically stem cellsAbility to troubleshoot and independently resolve technical issues with experiments
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Sep 3, 2020
Unposting Date: Sep 9, 2020, 12:59:00 AM