Universityof Colorado – School of MedicineResearch Associate
The University of ColoradoDenver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitmentto creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value theability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diversebackgrounds.
The University of Colorado Comprehensive Cancer Center (UCCC) is seeking a PhD-level Bioinformatics researcher who will specialize in the analysis of –omics data. The UCCC places a strong emphasis on reproducible research, and a skillset that is compatible with reproducible data science practices is required. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of leading the analysis of experiments using multiple -omic profiling technologies, such as whole genome/exome sequencing, ChIP-/ATAC-seq, RNAseq, proteomics, metabolomics, mass cytometry, and/or single cell technologies. The holder of this position will collaborate with UCCC investigators to lead the bioinformatics analysis of individual projects. This position will also participate in group meetings with other Bioinformaticists and occasionally present in educational seminars.
An additional benefit of this position will be the ability to spend up to 25% of their time developing novel computational methods as independent research. Thus, the individual will have the opportunity to develop independence of research through individual and collaborative grant funding.
The UCCC is the top-ranked NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center in the mountain region of the United States. The UCCC has a membership of 280 faculty that span research from basic cancer biology to epidemiology and cancer prevention. The University has made major investments into centralizing patient medical records for research purposes, bringing in cutting edge single cell technologies at the protein, DNA, and RNA level (10x Genomics, VECTRA, MIBI, mass spectrometry, high content microscopy), made major investments in to building research programs in Immuno-oncology, data analytics, RNA biosciences, and Fibrosis. The UCCC is committed to developing cutting edge basic research and translating these findings into the clinic. With 15 shared resources, including Genomics, Functional Genomics, Proteomics/Metabolomics and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics.
This position will be fully supported through the UCCC with generous salary compensation commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the individual.
- Lead the analysis of projects involving -omics data through the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource
- Develop and run Bioinformatics pipelines.
- Develop collaborative relationships with UCCC members
- Develop and implement algorithms for the analysis of -omics data
- Reviewing and editing grants and manuscripts
- Participate in lab meetings and seminars
- Communicate with other bioinformaticists to exchange expertise and assistance
- A desire to work collaboratively with multiple researchers at once in the cancer space
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees priorto their employment.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternativeformats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Yourtotal compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University ofColorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributionsthat add to your bottom line.
TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Pleaseclick here for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed torecruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrativestaff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A PhD in Bioinformatics/Biostatistics/Computational Biology or related fields
- Demonstrated track record of project completion through peer-reviewed publications.
- Experience with at least one major version control system (git, mercurial, svn).
- Programming experience in in R or Python.
- Shell scripting experience, including the ability to integrate multiple tools into a single workflow.
Applicants mustmeet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- Past experience with the analysis of whole-exome and whole-genome sequencing
- Past experience analyzing ChIP- or ATAC-seq experiments
- Experience designing -omics experiments
- A working knowledge of cancer biology, with a deep understanding in a particular field, such as immunology, developmental biology, cell signaling, a specific cancer type (e.g., prostate, breast).
- A demonstrated track record of publicly shared source code (e.g., GitHub) with community use (e.g., number of downloads, or number of paper referring to the softward)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and educate researchers that do not have a strong background in Bioinformatics. For example, a previously developed lecture, workshop, class.
- Experience with developing and writing grant applications or parts of grant applications around Bioinformatics analysis
- Interest in developing new algorithms for new technologies, such as multiplexed ion beam imaging and/or single cell technologies
- Application and development of deep learning models
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Sep 2, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing