Religious Education Assistant/Associate Professor
Job location: BYU–Hawaii
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-08
If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board.
Applications will be reviewed beginning November 2, 2020.
Start Date: Fall 2021 (August 2021)
- A doctorate in a relevant field (such as History, ancient Near Eastern or biblical studies/language, Religion, Sociology, Philosophy, Theology, etc.) is preferred.
- We seek candidates that support our mission (https://about.byuh.edu/mission.html) and who are committed to strengthening our students both spiritually and intellectually. Experience in teaching religious education at Church universities and/or Seminaries & Institutes is particularly valued.
- The individual should be completely committed to helping prepare students to serve in their families, communities, and the Church throughout the world, with a particular emphasis on the Asia-Pacific region. Additional consideration will be given to those with any meaningful experience in or with the Asia-Pacific region.
- As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU-Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing. For Religious Education, candidates must be Church members who are doctrinally sound, have experience with gospel teaching, and are committed to teach with a focus on conveying knowledge, developing skills, and deepening conversion.
- Teach approximately 30 semester credit hours per year over three semesters in some (but not all) of the following subject areas: The Eternal Family, Foundations of the Restoration, Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel, Doctrine and Teachings of the Book of Mormon, scripture-specific courses, Church history and doctrine.
- Scholarship, creative endeavor, ongoing professional development, and university service are expected.
- BYU-Hawaii’s primary focus is undergraduate learning and teaching.The individual should be fully committed to student learning (https://clt.byuh.edu/framework-for-learning
- Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- A limited relocation expense package is provided.
- Annually renewable contract eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU-H equivalent of “tenure-track”)
- Standard BYU-Hawaii benefits package for regular full-time employees.
- Online Application Form.
- A letter of application and current vitae.
- Three references including names, addresses, and telephone numbers. Letters of recommendation will be requested from finalists. Letter writers must send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employment confidential report form (https://brightspotcdn.byu.edu/ca/94/ece6c2d542c0a203a21f3ff10a14/ecclesiastical-endorsement-0.pdf). These forms should be submitted by the interviewing ecclesiastical leader to email@example.com or the address listed below.
- Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received.
- A link to a 10 minute (minimum) teaching video, addressing a scripturally-based gospel topic, posted online. Can be submitted on vitae or in an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Associate Academic Vice President - Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
Email: email@example.com* More information may be requested as you progress through the recruiting process.