Job location: Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-09-01
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-2217.Job Title:CustodianJob Family:Service WorkersFull-Time/Part-Time:Full timeCompensation Grade:2HPay Type:HourlyDepartment:Custodial Second Shift AJob Summary:To maintain the cleanliness and overall appearance of Furman’s buildings, except the Dining and Residence halls, including the interior, windows and the entrances and walkways within 20 feet of the building.Job Description:
1. Maintains the overall appearance by:
- waxing, buffing, dusting, sweeping and mopping or vacuuming floors and stairs.
- cleaning and disinfecting showers, sinks, drains, and grout in restroom and ensuring supplies are provided.
- cleaning glass doors, mirrors and windows, furniture, vents, baseboard in hallways and kitchens, partitions and displays.
- cleaning/dusting venetian blinds.
- cleaning and polishing brass.
- cleaning water fountains.
- cleaning out sand urns.
- emptying and washing trash cans.
- emptying recycling bins.
- cleaning exterior area (20 feet) by blowing/sweeping walkways, picking up
- trash, washing windows
- cleaning kitchen areas as needed.
- cleaning up spills.
- pressure washing walks, buildings as assigned.
- loading trash into dumpsters.
- cleaning light fixtures/chandeliers, vents.
2. Assists in "set-up" and "break down" for meetings and special events as needed.
3. Refers work order to Facilities Services when repairs cannot be complete in-house.
4. Coordinates work schedules with building coordinator and/or occupants of areas to be cleaned.
5. Inspects building for unsafe conditions and either corrects the problem or notifies supervisor of the need to correct the problem.
6. Maintains appearance of custodial storage rooms.
7. Maintains custodial equipment assigned by following operating, storage and cleaning procedures and notifying supervisor of problems as they occur.
8. Performs special tasks as assigned by the Facilities Services manager or supervisor in support of the goals and objectives of the University.
9. Moves furniture as requested needed to perform cleaning tasks.
10. Follows safety procedures.
11. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
12. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
13. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and
information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and
Daily works with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, and members of other departments to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions. Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Responsible for own work. May assist or instruct other doing similar work; including student workers.
Tasks are well-defined and repetitive, following prescribed steps, methods and/or procedures. Work involves limited choice with regard to the selection of appropriate tools, methods or materials.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
Completed work is referred to supervisor for review.
High School graduate with 1 – 2 years experience in related field.
Ability to read and understand written instructions and product labels.
Ability to operate basic cleaning equipment.
Ability to complete work independently.
Work is performed 90% inside under usual office/gym conditions and 10% outside under varied weather conditions.
Continuous exposure to cleaning chemicals, dust, dirt, and requires following safety precautions.
Frequently requires lifting of up to 30 lbs. unassisted and up to 50 lbs. with assistance.
Frequently requires reaching, handling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, and pulling.Education Requirements:Certification Requirements:Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):