Instruction & Classroom Support Technician 1 - Spanish Tutor (Part-Time)
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of part-time Instruction and Classroom Support Technician 1 (ICST 1) – Spanish Tutor.
This position provides one-on-one and small group tutoring to help Spanish students increase their knowledge and confidence in Spanish language and Hispanic culture and develop effective learning strategies and study skills for success in their courses.
South Puget Sound Community College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its professional staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds. On average, 43% of SPSCC students are people of color. We strongly encourage members of the underrepresented groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
And if that isn't enough? We also offer:
- The Clipper Café specializing in seasonal comfort foods
- The Bake Shop offering daily baked goods made by our students
- Fine dining in the Percival Room, offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices as part of our Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs
- Campus bookstore offering snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies
- Starbucks coffee shop
- Bus service every 15 minutes to downtown Olympia and beyond
- FREE parking on our campuses – permits are not required
- On-campus child care
- Percival Creek, which runs beneath our campus footbridge, provides year-round beauty and views of Chinook, Coho, and chum salmon pass through each fall
- Many walking paths that are marked and on nicely paved sidewalks
- Gym and recreation facilities
- SPSCC promotes wellness with a variety of different workshops and events on campus
- Lots of activities with our Artist & Lecture series, which are FREE for staff and faculty
- Many community events in the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts
The part-time Spanish Tutor will support students’ success by helping them learn course content and develop effective learning strategies, problem solving skills, and study habits as applicable to their Spanish courses. The Spanish Tutor will also:
- Coordinate tutoring appointments with students in a timely manner and maintain an organized tutoring scheduleKeep and input an accurate record of tutoring session information into the online tutor tracking softwareParticipate in training sessions as needed to develop and deliver best practices in college tutoringDemonstrate multicultural competence (including an awareness and understanding of historically disadvantaged populations) and create an educational and work environment that affirms commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusionSupport the college's mission by creating a work environment of mutual respect and fairness, while encouraging creative and critical thinking
- Native or near-native fluency in SpanishStrong proficiency in English
- Demonstrated experience or participation with persons from diverse backgrounds such as sexual orientation, racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, age, socio-economic, physical and learning abilities, and a commitment to an inclusive and equitable working/learning environment
- AA/AS from accredited collegePrevious experience and training in tutoring best practices and learning theoryExperience working with community college students
Applications must be completed online and include the following attachments:
- Cover letter highlighting your ability to perform the responsibilities described in the job posting.
- Current resume showing all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
Top candidates will be notified directly to interview for this position. Selection will be based on the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties listed in this job posting as identified in the materials requested above. Applications with comments directing the reader to see attachments will be considered incomplete.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wishing to claim Veterans Preference should redact their personally identifiable information from a copy of their United States Department of Veterans Affairs honorable discharge documentation and email to [email protected] with the job number for which they are applying in the subject line.
Condition of Employment
Employment with the college is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check. Any adverse information will be considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically preclude a candidate from employment.
Conditions of Part-Time Employment
Non-permanent employees under the provisions of WAC 357-19-435 are only authorized to work up to a maximum of 1,050 hours in any twelve (12) consecutive- month period from the original date of hire. Employment with the college could end any time.
SPSCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientations, and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over age 40, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants needing accommodation in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources office at (360) 596-5500. The college is committed to enhancing the diversity of our faculty and staff, as well as our student population. We strongly encourage applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legal protected status. SPSCC is a drug-free workplace.